Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Rabbit water bottle

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Nicole
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

I recently went to my local pet store and bought two of the Kaytee Critter Canteen 32oz water bottles. I filled one up to replace one of my rabbits bottles and it seemed to be working. I left him overnight and when I went to check on him the same amount of water was still there. I knew that my rabbit didn’t get any water for over 8 hours so I immediately gave him some and switched back to his old one that leaks. I then took the bottle and tested it and for some reason it would drip a few drops out but then it would stop again. I tried everything to get it to work but it seems like air is trapped behind the spring load and it won’t dispense any water. I purchased their current water bottles at Walmart a couple years ago and it has worked very well for me. It isn’t spring loaded I believe and it has a plastic washer inside. Walmart doesn’t seem to sell it anymore which is why I’m turning to this forum. I don’t remember the brand of it though as it doesn’t say on the bottle. The bottle is a white/ clear color and it has a blue nozzle and little blue prints of mice, carrots, bunnies, and birds in a cage. If anyone knows of any water bottles with a similar description or with the plastic washer inside and not spring loaded it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

Hi there,

Some water bottles are pretty troubling. Most should just have a ball bearing in a tube. Some don’t work well if you don’t squeeze them first to get the air out.

In general, most bunnies drink more water from a bowl, and then you avoid the problem of the bottle malfunctioning. I offer both a heavy crock of water (I think it’s a dog bowl), plus a bottle, just in case they run out or soil the bowl. I used to use a bottle, then I noticed my bun would always drink from my cat’s bowl! I guess he was trying to tell me something!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• JLH
          Participant
          94 posts Send Private Message

I also use a heavy crock bowl for water, pet smart has small heavy crock bowls that are the perfect size for a bunny, she has a matching one for her pellets. I don’t trust the bottles at all.

• Dface
            Participant
            1084 posts Send Private Message

Hi there! I can’t help with your actual problem, but I would encourage you to try giving water from a bowl like the others have mentioned.
              Bottles create a “work-for-water” environment for rabbits, which results in them actually not drinking water as much as they should.
              They did studies on it and found a rabbit will drink 40% more from a bowl. My vet was actually able to tell that my rabbits were bowl drinkers during their physical examination, which is just how much of a difference it can make!
              Additionally it discourages laziness, I know a lot of bottles are only changed weekly, whereas bowls help make sure you are cleaning them out daily.
              If you are worried about transitioning, like Dana says, you can always offer both until they are weaned onto it (but I recently got a bottle rabbit, and he immediately got to grips with the bowl)

• DarthVadar
              Participant
              198 posts Send Private Message

Bottles are commonly used for rabbits, and I have no idea why. They are much harder to clean, and for outside bunnies, they freeze up and break. Normal bowls are much better; you can get a stainless steel small dog bowl at walmart for like $3. Stainless steel cleans up very well, and the slope of the bowl keeps the rabbit from tipping it over.

• Doodler
                Participant
                337 posts Send Private Message

I started out using water bottles because that is what they were used to and I am so happy I am not using them anymore. I agree that a bowl is so much better and my bunnies drink so much more with them. When I got my doe I had to bring out the bottle again for a short time and I remembered how much I couldn’t stand cleaning them!

With that said if for some reason a water bottle is necessary for your bun I have had good luck with the Lixit Wide Mouth Water bottle. Some reviews will say it leaks but it doesn’t if you fill it all the way and close it all the way. You may get a few drips here and there but that is not unusual for most bottles especially when you first turn it over after filling.

• Pepper the Bunny
                  Participant
                  21 posts Send Private Message

Bowls are way better! They hold more water (since buns can drink as much as a small dog) and it is easier and more natural for them. But if you MUST use a water bottle, never use a spring loaded one. There have been horror stories of their tounges getting caught in it! Hope this helped

• Three Little Bunnies
                    Participant
                    63 posts Send Private Message

My bunny Bolt lived in a different home for about two years (before I rescued him) and drank out of a water bottle. I recently started offering a bowl as well as the bottle for him and Shadoe, who are (finally) bonded. They drink way more water from the bowl and I took the bottle away because they weren’t drinking from it. The only downside is that it spills and gets dirty much faster.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Rabbit water bottle