Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit thumping/spooked for no apparent reason?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • DaisyMaisy
      Participant
      29 posts Send Private Message

Hi, so last night my bun was thumping and when I went to check on her she was running away and hiding from me, whilst still thumping and making a little grunting noise. I tried giving her a treat but she wouldn’t take this either, but she eventually calmed down and took it and let me pet her after about 5 minutes. I looked around and noticed that the postman had just put a letter through the door in that room about 10 mins before so I thought she may have been spooked from that. But she has now started doing the same thing again this afternoon. She is usually sleeping at this time but nothing has come through the door and nobody was nearby for her to get startled or anything. I again went to check on her and she was still thumping and making the little sound and avoiding me but calmed down after a bit and started eating her hay.

I’m not sure what it is exactly and there have been no changes to her area or anything. I wondered if she is in pain maybe and needs a vet visit? But she is still eating well and I haven’t seen any changes with her except this.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes buns do get spooked for seemingly no reason (or just no reason that we can detect). I’ve noticed my buns will often spook easily when it’s very windy. I think sometimes scary smells can waft in with the wind, or the wind creates unfamiliar noises.

I think it’s ok to just monitor unless you notice other changes (like reduced appetite) or she is acting this way for a prolonged period of time. I’ve also noticed sometimes when things are TOO quiet they will spook at any little thing (like me shifting in my office chair, for example), so adding some ambient noise (like classical music or a noise machine) can actually help them to not startle so easily.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
          16908 posts Send Private Message

Yep, “scary” smells definitely get buns worked up sometimes.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit thumping/spooked for no apparent reason?