Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR rabbit shortening own nails?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • kieran
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

I went to trim my bunny’s nails today, after having to wait a bit to get a friend to help me. for the past week I had been noticing her nails being too long, I just had to wait so someone could help hold her.

I went to cut her nails today, and they were short! barely any white at all. significantly shorter than before. none of them looked damaged and she hasn’t been acting hurt.

her back nails stay short usually, but this is the first time for her front paws.

is she biting her nails? filing them on something? is this normal?

she’s an adult rabbit, and free roams my living room which has carpet and hardwood.

• SweetB
        Participant
        13 posts Send Private Message

Hi Kieran! She might be biting her own nails, I think this is normal if they get too long but better to trim them before they have to do it themselves! My bun did the same thing when I went to trim hers after waiting a little too long.

• Wick & Fable
          5771 posts Send Private Message

Agreed. I have heard it very sparingly that some rabbits will wear down their own nails via digging at abrasive surfaces and/or chewing on them. Whether this is a sign of stress or just an innocuous behavior, I am unsure. Some people report it happening during a time of stress, while others say it is a consequence of the rabbit’s natural enrichment activities (ex. digging somewhere rough). It would be valuable to consider what might best apply to your rabbit at this time.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

My last rabbit, Aria, rarely needed her nails trimmed.   This was the first rabbit I ever had that didn’t need nail trims.  Aria was a very active rabbit even as a senior bunny.  She binkied and zoomied daily.  She liked to dig and explore.  Her flooring consisted of carpet, wood, cardboard floor in her maze and diggy house, grass mats under her willow tents, and there was some rougher outdoor flooring type in her window box (a shelf we built where she could get up to a window and look outside).  Not sure if all the different textures along with her activity would cause this, but my when I asked my vet about it — she wasn’t concerned and said that she has seen this in some rabbits.  I have also heard that some rabbits can bite their nails.  But I just figured if they bit their nails, the nail edge wouldn’t be smooth.  My bunnies nail bottoms were smooth.    A mystery — but sure made nail trimming easy!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR rabbit shortening own nails?