Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Rabbit Roundup-Pictures!!

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kokaneeandkahlua
      Participant
      12067 posts Send Private Message

Ok, one of my volunteers has been feeding and maintaining a population of feral rabbits all winter (12-14; on his own dime and time! How sweet!)

We are heading out this weekend to round them up-in a hurry because they’ll start breeding soon (almost spring) and they have spotted a coyote in the area. I checked with Nanci (she pays all the vet care and the shelter is at her house) and she’s very ok with it. We are going to get boxes made at a box factory into pet carriers (They have them made at several shelters and this will give us a good way to transport them)

I’m scoping the place out tomorrow and we’re getting a game plan together. I’m reading what I can. I did round up a feral rabbit this summer, but that was only one; on our side-the area is fenced. So we are going to funnel them into something small and then just grab and put in carriers. We are setting up a quarantine room, and (Thanks to the article in the paper) have a vet and a vet tech who want to give free exams to bunnies-so we’ll be in contact with them to assist this big intake.

ANY thoughts/tips/suggestions/warnings are appreciated!! I always love the help and tips I get on here and appreciate it all. I will of course keep you all posted!

• jerseygirl
        22338 posts Send Private Message

Take Dave.

• jerseygirl

OK, seriously now…what is there behaviour when the volunteer goes to feed them. Do they come out while he/she is there? My only thought is to keep re-checking the area after you have successfully rounded them up (thinking positively here  ). Reason being incase there is already a nest with babes already out there. Be sad if the 12-14 are rescued and some kits were left behind.

Be interesting to see what people suggest. Wish you could film the event!

Oh, by the way – Nanci is Awesome!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant

Nanci is beyond awesome! She runs the horse shelter and funds mine! She’s an absolute animal lover at heart.

I was thinking we will check for nipples on any female we find to ensure no kits are left behind.

Apparently they scatter when you come, but they are all eating the food. It’s a fenced area so I don’t see how this could be too hard! I’m optimistic though! I’m so happy nanci is letting us go forth with this-and we’ll hopefully be rounding up more soon!

Our adoptions are going up, so I’m hopeful this won’t be a strain- we adopted Pocus this weekend and Roger&Bunbun are going in two weeks although technically have been adopted (I’m driving them up north approx. two hours to their new home March 1st-and I’ll be meeting Petzy too then-she’s my volunteer who helps with all kinds of online things and is great!).

• Cassi&Charlie
              Participant
              1260 posts Send Private Message

Wear gloves. I know Layla bites bloody hard when cornered and picked up so I assume a properly feral rabbit would be more than happy to sink it’s teeth into you.

Thats great that you’re adoption rate is on the rise. I bet the article and the extra publicity is going to help out too You guys are amazing.

• RabbitPam
                11002 posts Send Private Message

Gloves were my first suggestion too. The heavy leather kind for gardening that go up your arm. Also, cover your arms, legs and neck to avoid scratches.

Can you bring a couple of xpens stretched out flat and attached to each other to create a smaller space after herding them closer to the boxes?

Also, could you ask Nanci not to feed them first thing in the AM, then put food into each box so they will want to go in?

• Crayon
                  Participant
                  238 posts Send Private Message

I don’t have any tips but I am curious about what your doing.
                    So these are feral rabbits but not wild ones? They look like house bunnies?
                    Also why are you rounding them up? Are you making them into pets or just taking them somewhere else.

• Lily
                    Participant
                    340 posts Send Private Message

Good luck!!

Try tempting them out with treats?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant

Thanks for the tips!!

Crayon-they are house bunnies who have been dumped and are falling prey to coyotes, and humans. Domesticated rabbits only survive a short period in the wild and fall prey to abuse by humans, predators and vehicles. They also maintain a population by rampant breeding. It’s illegal to dump any domesticated pet, but rabbits are being dumped in several cities. It’s not unusual for Edmonton to have forty below or forty above weather as well, we also have a deranged individual who is catching and mutiliating cats-it’s not a stretch for him to do it to rabbits as well. Their are many cases of dumped rabbits being caught and tortured by humans(young boys)

We are catching them, vetting them and spay/neutering them. We are then working closely to evaluate their potential for adoption. Should the majority not be OK for adoption we will bond them into a group who will live with us permanently.

• Sarita
                        Participant
                        18851 posts Send Private Message

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/stray-roundup.html

Here’s a good article from the HRS website.

• babybunsmum
                          Participant
                          3896 posts Send Private Message

wow i wish i was near-by… i’d love to help!  my wabbit wrangling aways has to include some sort of fencing or boards to ‘corale’ with.  but i don’t know how practical that would be in an outdoor situation.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant

I think that’s the route we’re going to go; We’re bringing boards to corral (they are in fenced area) and puppy pens to heard them into. Petzy is organizing some cardboard carriers so we can keep everyone seperate on the way back to the shelter. They’ll be lots of pics. I have high hopes!!

• Crayon
                              Participant
                              238 posts Send Private Message

I see. That is very nice of you guys to help out the bunnies. Good Luck.

• Lily
                                Participant

Sounds like you guys are defently on the ball with this! When are you doing it? Looking forward to hearing how it turns out and seeing pictures of them! Good luck!

• jerseygirl

Yes, awaiting updates!!!!!!   Can I come?

• KytKattin
                                    Participant
                                    1195 posts Send Private Message

It’s so awesome that you’re doing this! If you were close by I would love to come help! I’m sure that this won’t help much, but I can tell you what I did when I caught Nova, and she was definitely a feral rabbit. She wasn’t acclimated at all to her surrounding though, and it’s a time consuming method. If she did know where she was/where she could hide I’m certain that she would have ran away long before I was even able to get within a few feet of her, but she didn’t, and she did at least have human contact before.

First, I crawled on my hands and knees up to about 5 feet away from her, so I could gauge her reaction. This is when I noticed she was in fact a dwarf rabbit, not a baby like I had first thought. She was up against a building and under some broad leafed bushes (easy to get under). I figured I might have a chance of actually catching her at that point so a began the process I used so many times to catch our outdoor pet rabbits when I was much younger and a method I’ve played around with getting horses to come to me. Second I caught her interest. Now I know that this wouldn’t work with rabbits who have never had human contact, but it might work with some who have, or have been recently dumped. I used my tennis racket (since that is what I was doing before I spotted her), and put it close to her since it didn’t seem to scare her. She would actually come out a little towards it. I continued to just do this for about 15 minutes, luring her out a little farther, then losing a little ground when she became unconfident. I was finally to the point that she was almost coming up to me completely, and she was definitely within grab, but I knew that I would only have one chance to grab her. If I missed she would probably go into some nearby blackberry bushes and be lost for good (hopefully you don’t have those nearby?). So I just went with my instincts and pinned her to the ground and held her there hard. Then I don’t quite remember what I did next, but I know I picked her up somehow when she was screaming. She screamed for a good minute too, and I’m lucky someone didn’t come out and tell me I had to let her go (you aren’t supposed to take the dumped rabbits for some stupid reason). And goodness, if you’ve never heard a rabbit scream, know that it’s something you will probably encounter when you catch them.

If they scream, you might want to label their box or something, or make some sort of note since if they’re female, there is a good chance they are pregnant, or so I’ve heard from a few breeders. If it’s a small, hyper breed like Nova, there is a good chance that if they are pregnant the babies will die since these rabbits are hard to breed even when they’re under normal care and any stress just terminates the pregnancy. Also, it would be a good idea to e-spay them anyways since they might have bred to a rabbit that is much bigger than them, and could cause the mom to have extreme complications in labor if the babies are to big.

Also from back in my childhood days of catching pet rabbits and a small accidental population explosion from a rescue we brought home, we would sneak in and block off their holes before we attempted to catch them, so we could at least get the ones that were out. You could also put a cage/x-pen in front of where their holes are and you might get one attempting to run back to it’s home. Another note would be that if you aren’t able to catch one or two, they might be the ones that are more equipped to live in the wild anyways. I’m not saying don’t try, just don’t beat yourself up if you can’t bring them all home. Best of luck to you!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant

Ok I have pictures-will post tomorrow when I get back from the shelter.

My toes are still frozen, my knees are bruised and everything hurts.

BUT WE HAVE SIX BUNNIES!! It was five hours in the cold with eleven people and lots and lots and lots of frustration-but we got all but three! (We purchases a humane live trap for Brian-my volunteer who works at the place where the bunnies are-to use to catch the other three this week). Since we came out and were so successful they are putting off calling the exterminator and giving us a chance to catch the rest.

We have one Agouti, and five black bunnies (two of the three remaining are black and one is agouti). We settled them into another room as quarantine-in comfy cages with lots of food and water. I was able to sex two of them, but the others were so stressed we’ll give them a couple of days and sex them-they’re all in seperate cages so no need to rush things. I have a vet coming out tomorrow to do exams on all the bunnies-volunteer-so the timing is perfect.

I’m exhausted and heading for a bath and bed!!! I’ll post pics tomorrow guys! Thanks for all the tips it went really well!! It was in an industrial yard with all kinds of equipement and junk and trailers for them to hide under and we managed to get 6 out of 9!! I’m pumped!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                        Participant

Oh I almost forgot -the highlight was when we had this one cornered, and it was being ushered towards me, I was ready to catch him and he launched over my head with no warning!!! He landed on my back and took off -we so thought we had him and he out smarted us!! It was very reminiscent of that scene in Chevy Chase’s xmas vacation-with the squirrel in the house

• jerseygirl

Wow! Good work! Great that they’ll give you time to get the rest. I wasn’t aware they were under threat from an exterminator too. So 7 black bunnies altogether? Going to be fun naming them! CAN’T WAIT FOR PICS!

• Beka27
                                            Participant
                                            16016 posts Send Private Message

That’s great! What a wonderful job! I couldn’t imagine capturing one, let alone 6, LOL! Lost had a good point about an E-spay. That will probably be your best bet with the females. Are these new vets going to be able to further discount the surgeries, or just the exams?

• babybunsmum
                                              Participant
                                              3896 posts Send Private Message

wascally wabbit!  lol.  congrats on your success… 6!  wow

hope you have recovered from your adventure!

• Lily
                                                Participant

Oh wow 6 out of 9! Thats so awosme! They must be so cute! Black bunnys are beautiful……Looking forward to seeing those pictures!

• Deleted User
                                                  Participant
                                                  22064 posts Send Private Message

yay! cant wait to see pix

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                    Participant

Ok, we don’t have that many pics of the round up yet-gave my camera to the kids (to keep them busy and out of the way-they try to help but ) and they didn’t take too many. Nanci has more so hopefully she uploads tomorrow at work.

Anyways heres some pics!

One of the many trailers they can (And did!) hide under-and one of our younger volunteers

More volunteers

Dave snoozing while we regrouped & had a coffee break

Another great hiding spot they had

Save and sound (and scared) in quarantine at the shelter. 

This one is the MOST timid of the group-and has one white foot (Very cute!)

The other very timid one-trying to escape into the corner

We did a good session with them today (we just settled them in last night and left them in quiet) giving veggies and nose rubs. We handled them all and did quick body checks-we found a few small ‘war wounds’ from fighting amongst themselves. We irrigated and polysprind them. We’re going to leave them a bit longer before we flip them over to sex them-we want to work to gain their trust. Two are already coming around well, although they are nervous they are accepting nose rubs and cuddles-if reluctantly

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                      Participant

Jers-we didn’t know about the exterminator either-the guy who works there who volunteers with us was told on friday they were going to call an exterminator.

Beka-the vet is just volunteering and doing some exams, she asked if she could do discount spay/neuters but she works in a clinic and the clinic doesn’t want to discount them (Which is fine I like our vet and we’re managing). The hands on vet exam every couple weeks will be fantastic and she offered to let me phone/email her anytime for questions!! Vet on call-cool!

I forgot to include, we covered the tops of all the cages with sheets so they feel more protected, and they are all in view of each other-we hope that will be comforting to them. The really scared bunny got a bunny-igloo today and I’m going to round up some cardboard boxes tomorrow to make everyone a nice hidey-hole.

• ScooterandAnnette
                                                        Participant
                                                        1090 posts Send Private Message

K&K, check at Costco for boxes. If you let them know what you’re wanting them for then they might keep some aside for you or at least let you know what’s generally a good time to pick some up. I know ours loved the broccoli box we got there!
                                                          – Annette

• RabbitPam
                                                          11002 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the pix. It looks so cold…brrrrr….
                                                            I would think they’d feel better soon after being warmer and fed for a while. I like the sheet idea. You are so good at understanding bunny needs.

Also any liquor store is routinely giving out boxes. They are smaller and sturdy. One large chain here even has a bin up front where they leave their empties for people to come by and pick up. (Not as tasty as broccoli boxes, though.)

• Sarita
                                                            Participant
                                                            18851 posts Send Private Message

Oh, I’m so glad you caught some – poor bunnies. You might want to consider an emergency spay if you have any females — they are certain to be pregnant.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                              Participant

Oh yes we will be spaying, just figuring out who’s boys and girls right now

Here are Nanci’s much better pictures

Already doing well being handled

• jerseygirl

How will you tell them all apart?! They look so similar. I love that 1st shot of them – four in a row. Edit: Make that 5 in a row!

• MooBunnay
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  3087 posts Send Private Message

That is so cool! I’m so glad you were able to catch them! That is really great that they are already doing so well with being handled. I have a bunny from a feral colony, she is a netherland dwarf, and she is still quite wary of us after having her for a year, but she is adorably sweet. When she gets up the nerve she will hop over and groom our feet – I think she is saying “thank you” for getting her away from the colony where all the boys were chasing her all around.

• bunnytowne
                                                                    Participant
                                                                    7537 posts Send Private Message

Oh wow I love the pic of the 3 together in the snow and the black one in the white snow.  Wow that is amazing y’all were able to catch most of them. 

Yes it would have been a hard winter on them they may not have made it without everyone’s help.   congratulations on  a job well done

• Deleted User
                                                                      Participant

i looked at the first set of pix from the bottom to the top, before reading that the kids had your camera….so i was thinking to myself…”what was everyone thinking while they were busy bunny catching and Leslie was snapping pictures!?” lol…but you answered my question! Yay for warm bunnies!

• Beka27
                                                                        Participant
                                                                        16016 posts Send Private Message

I have such sympathy for Dave. First off, he has this girlfriend with a rabbit, then another rabbit, and another. And then she goes and makes herself a rabbit rescue. And eventually he ends up outside in the cold, napping in a car, between catching bunnies.

;o)

But seriously, what a great guy, and great volunteets to help you get this done!

• mattman0182
                                                                          Participant
                                                                          57 posts Send Private Message

Thats crazy. How did they all get there? Where I live all rabbits on the loose are wild. Those look like domestic strays.

• jerseygirl
                                                                            Moderator
                                                                              Posted By jerseygirl on 02/16/2009 11:13 PM

Take Dave.

Quoting myself here – lol

So when I suggested this as a useful tip, I was thinking of his jack rabbit round ups……..but I’m reviewing things………

122337258671.jpg

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                              Participant

Jers-I’m showing Dave that’s sooo funny!

Mattman-yes they are strays. We do have wild rabbits and wouldn’t round those up-they should live in the wild (although Dave once tried thinking it was a domestic stray ) These were dumped there and some were born there. It seems there are several locations in the city where people are dumping thier pets-we hope to do more round ups!

• xParadise
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                182 posts Send Private Message

Wow Lesley, I’m impressed! That’s great of you guys- I’m sure those rabbits will be much happier as comfy housebuns!

• mattman0182
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                  57 posts Send Private Message

Yea you guys truely are heros!! I am happy for those buns!

• dreamlessforever
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                    148 posts Send Private Message

its awesome you caught them all they are beautiful. its unfrotunate the amount of rabbits being dumped out there……i myself have seen and caught loose bunnies (and kept one [edward]). there are so many bunnies in my area that just run around. i have caought a  few who didnt make it because they had been seriously injured by a car and died. i mean before i caught edward i almost hit him with the car good thing he runs fast. the park down the street from me has a few large white bunnies running around (unsuccessful at catching those tho). everytime i see what looks like a loose house bunny i try to catch it but there is just too many.

• Deleted User
                                                                                      Participant

Thats just so crazy to me. I don’t think i’ve ever seen a house bunny out in the wild. but then again, rabbits aren’t very popular pets in my area…

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                                        Participant

I know hey? I can’t imagine the ignorant people who dump them.

One of them, Bella the female, Nanci wants to adopt (she does the shelter with me) so after the quarantine and her spay healing, we’ll be bonding her with her bunny Noah.

We’re working on plans to do a larger round up soon, there are several (ugh…) more locations in Edmonton with strays, and we’re trying to be more organized for the next time.

This was one thought we had, xpens set up in a v, coming to an end at a dog agility tunnel, with a pen on the end of the tunnel-then running them through and into the tunnel. thoughts? laughs?

• dreamlessforever
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                          148 posts Send Private Message

well you could have a line of people on the opposite side of the field (if there is one) and walk towards the v that should flush them out (if there arent any structures or burrows between you and the v) and into the pen. but i would find a way to trap them into it seeing as how they realize very quickly that there is no escape and would turn around and run past all of you. traps like that work better on younger less experienced rabbits and once they have been caught in the trapt if they should escape they will most likely not fall for it again.maybe carrying pieces of those pens with you so they would be hard pressed to run past and push them together against the v to makeshift a pen.i know of a method of getting kits and hiding rabbits out of burrows but i will only explain it if you need it.well i am sure you will firgure it out nicely and catch some buns.

Viewing 42 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Rabbit Roundup-Pictures!!