Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Rabbit puts holes in every cover I put on her cage bottom, Please help

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Donko
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

So I have this rabbit I rescued this year and I love her to death. Her name is Marble and normally, thr bottom of thr cage is hard plastic so what I do is I put something on it so she wont slipp around. Thr problem is she put holes in everything I put down. Towels, holes, old bed sheets, holes. I really dont want to leave it bare but she ruins everything I put in her cage. Any help its a appreciated. thr pan itself is pretty big and people say fleese but Im scared she would put a hole in that too and worse case, start eating it.

• Louiethebunny
        Participant
        603 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits love to shred and chew. To ease the chewing, you could try different chew toys to see if they like toys better than the fabric.

• Wick & Fable
          5781 posts Send Private Message

To an extent, you may need to experiment with what may or may not be interesting to your rabbit.

I use very tight/short-looped carpet squares from the hardware store– the kind that people use to remodel basements and stuff. The carpet is really tough to bite against because it’s very tightly knit, and that has worked with one of my rabbits who is a monstrous fabric chewer! As mentioned, experimentation is needed. So with my fabric chewer, I also realized there cannot be any exposed edges or lips she could get under to start tugging at, so I had to buy enough to floor the entire area. I also use cat scratchers to cover edges as well.

There are heavier hay and seagrass mats that can act as added textured flooring too!

It may not be as textured, but a large sheet of cardboard could be a good foundation. Since it’d be cardboard, you could also poke holes into it to maybe use natural string to hold any hay mats in place too!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

I second cardboard and grass mats if you’ve got a chewer. If that’s his instinct, best to give him something safe to chew on that’s easy to replace. Newspaper mats are also great. 🙂

Also, some bunnies also don’t mind a hard floor and actively seek out hard surfaces to lay on. Mine have a linoleum layer on the bottom level of their condo and they like to lay on it vs. the fleece or grass mat levels, I think because it’s cooler. Maybe she’s trying to tell you something 😉

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Moonlightbunny66
              Participant
              694 posts Send Private Message

Is her cage big enough? How big is it? Does she have toys and free roam playtime? I agree with the posts above that she might stop if you give her things to chew like grass mats and willow sticks. You could also try making her a dig box. Hope this helps.

• BigJ111
                Participant
                24 posts Send Private Message

I used Kerbl 100% hemp mat, made for rodents. it’s comfy, all natural, can be safely torn apart and eaten. Been using those for years for the sleeping part of the cage. rest of the cage is just covered with hay, which remains in place after the bunny has walked on it for a bit.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Rabbit puts holes in every cover I put on her cage bottom, Please help