Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit protest peeing?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sages’ bunmom
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi there

Ive had my boy Sage for over 2 years now, and he basically to me came potty trained.
        As of this past week, he has peed on my bed at night 3 times. (In and around the same area, however I wash with vinegar… and the strong vinegar at that)

the first time, I didn’t even know it happened. I found the puddle the next morning.
        the second time, I took a bathroom break and he took my absence as a go ahead apparently.
        The third time?? He PEED ON ME, and on the bed.

Now the reason I believe it’s him being angry is because he’s taken a liking to absolutely going feral and digging at my blanket all night. It disrupts my sleep a lot & I give him the boot from the bed, only because he is relentless. I understand rabbit behaviour but it’s pretty bothersome behaviour when it multiple times a night and RELENTLESS!
        He’s always has free roam of my room, he sleeps with me in bed since little. He’s happy and I believe well taken care of.

So I wanted to know, is his starting up of peeing …. Him being mad at me??

if I’m doing something wrong, pls direct me.
        thank you!

• Bam
        16879 posts Send Private Message

He is not peeing on you because he’s mad at you. When a bun pees on the human it is a form of courtship or claiming. The frenzied digging is connected to this, the peeing is not bc he’s angry at you, rather the opposite tbh.

Is your rabbit neutered? Sexually driven behaviors can occur in neutered animals as well as in intact individuals, but in an intact rabbit the behaviors you describe can be perfectly normal, whereas in a neutered animal you should start to suspect that something is amiss.

In a neutered rabbit I’d start thinking some sort of pain, for example a UTI. It’s the wrong time of year for “March hare syndrome” – that typically occurs in early spring, when the days are starting to get longer again. (March hare syndrome -a sudden surge in activity level incl sexually driven behaviors) can occur in both intact and neutered rabbits).

In an intact rabbit this could be normal or it could be about some type of pain/discomfort. How is appetite and poop?

• mia
          Participant
          520 posts Send Private Message

Aww. I had a bun who’d pee on me when he got “too comfortable” in my arms, just as when he got nice and comfortable in his soft bed.

• Bam
              16879 posts Send Private Message

Oh yes, I had a bun that did that! He’d relax so completely, especially in my mum’s lap. And then he’d just pee 😄

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

I agree. This sounds like hormone-driven behavior. If he isn’t neutered, then I would consider this normal. Something probably triggered him to start trying to claim you and your bed. This can happen for seemingly no reason, but I’m sure there is probably something going on in their little bunny brain. Has anything changed in your house? New people? New animals?

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit protest peeing?