Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Rabbit poop pungent odor

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Littlemouse93
      Participant
      36 posts Send Private Message

Hello,

I have 2 female rabbits that are about 4 months old. They were just spayed last week and are recovering now. I’ve had them for almost 2 months now. Since I first brought them home, I noticed that their poop has a more pungent odor than my other rabbit (neutered male).

Their poop appears normal – large, round dry pellets. They are darker in color, which I believe to be from the amount of greens they eat. I’m currently feeding unlimited orchard and Timothy hay, 1 cup salad (consists of at least 3 types of greens), and 4 tablespoons of pellets. They have a large bowl of fresh water available. I don’t feed many treats. If I do, it’s usually a small amount of fruit (~ 1 tablespoon)

I’m used to rabbit poop being nearly odorless. Is this pungent smell normal for some rabbits? Is it something that will decrease as they get older/hormones fade after spay?

• jerseygirl
        22345 posts Send Private Message

It sounds like it might be some “marking poops” a.k.a. territorial poops. They have a coating from the anal glands that gives off an onion-like smell. Some people describe the smell as being like gym socks, body odour, corn chips.. Does any of that sound familiar?

That would be due to their age and that there are 2 of them. It’s something that should lessen now that they are desexed. Can they see or smell your male rabbit?

• Littlemouse93
          Participant
          36 posts Send Private Message

Yes, it’s a smell similar to what you described! Like a strong oniony smell.

No, they can’t see or smell him. He’s housed in a completely different area of the house. I suppose they might be able to smell him on me sometimes, but they have not been in contact with each other.

It makes sense that it could be marking. They’re doing really well with their litter box, so I guess I just didn’t think of that. I was expecting marking to be outside the litter box.

Thank you! 😊

• poopscoop12
            Participant
            34 posts Send Private Message

hahah just to add to that, when I first took my new boy home, went to check on him after my nap and was assaulted with that smell… I was like WTF IS THAT? my housemates also commented. His poop was darker and I thought it was coz of new diet, him being in a shelter, I gag everytime I went into the room in the morning. The smell is gone now (its been 2.5 weeks) also didn’t help he was spraying everywhere (he’s stopped that too, thank goodness).

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Rabbit poop pungent odor