Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR rabbit peeing on couch

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • daisy
      Participant
      50 posts Send Private Message

Daisy has started this new thing with peeing on the couch and I do not like it. My husband said that was the one thing he didn’t want to happen. She never did this until about 1 week ago and now she jumps on the couch and she pees. This really makes me mad because she was using her litter box in the living room instead of the couches. Any ideas to why she is doing this? I clean it up immediately and its not always in the same spot its just anywhere on the couch. I didn’t want to have to do this but I guess I will just have to keep her from getting on the couch at all until she stops. Help anyone?

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

Is Daisy spayed? Can you prevent her from jumping on the couch by providing some sort of barrier? Or alternatively if possible spray some deterrent around the floor area (eg. lemon juice … I have used this on the corner of my lounge when my bunny was chewing the edges). Another option is put old towels on the lounge and spray them with some perfume (like some cheapie stuff). However, the smell can be overpowering not only for your bun but you too. That may help prevent her from jumping on the lounge.

I have also used the carpet protectors (the ones with those little spikey claws on them but put them up the other way). That way bunny will not like stepping on the spikey bits.

Or ban Daisy from the lounge room altogether, until she knows where to do her toilet.

Has there been any change in your household … new visitors, have you changed any thing around in the living room.

You will need to reinforce her litterbox habits again … rabbits can very easily get out of their routine, and do at times need some extra training to reinforce the good habits.

Dawn xx

• BunMumTiff
          Participant
          241 posts Send Private Message

I personally would prevent her from gettin on the couch until you know that she is back to using he litterbox again. She might be still smelling where she has peed before and thinking the couch is a good spot. But she could be marking her space and tryin to clain the couch

• daisy
            Participant
            50 posts Send Private Message

She isnt spayed yet because she is not old enough. While we are on this topic is going through a humane society to spay a bunny a bad idea? It is much cheaper to do it this way? I will just not let her on it until she starts her litterbox back full time. Thanks

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

I agree with the above suggestions and would likely keep her off the couch until she really has box training down and see if it will stop at that point. Most SPCAs don’t have their own vets, but have local vets come in to do their animal care. As long as it’s a vet who has completed a lot of successful rabbit spay and neuters I don’t see what the problem would be. I think the most important thing is to ensure whoever is doing the surgery really knows proper rabbit care and is experienced with bunny spaying.

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

Jessica started this behavior when she earned her freedom.  She was allowed to free roam w/ the cats and she started peeing on the couch, cat bed, and the rug. 

So she now has supervised free roam time.  I also cleaned the couch w/ vinegar and water mix.  My husband was royally peaved by this behavior.  We eventually started to put "wee wee pads" on the couch if she was out w/o supervision.  We also started to put pillows at the front of the couch so she couldn’t access that area.  She eventually stopped…but I don’t completely trust her.

Also, I keep the cat litterboxes super clean when she’s out.  She likes to pee in the cat’s boxes.

• Schilly
                  Participant
                  1 posts Send Private Message

my new foster bunny is peeing on the couch too. this is the third rabbit i’ve had do this. seems like there is something about the sofa they like. Maybe being up high??? She doesn’t go anywhere else excpet the sofa and her litter box. i’m very upset about this and hate to see her in her cage cause she hates it. the living room is the only room she can play in because my bonded pair of rabbits want to kill her when she’s on the back porch with them or in the kitchen. i’m very frustrated. i live in NYC and have a very small apartment. i guess i will have to watch her like a hawk.

• osprey
                    Participant
                    2065 posts Send Private Message

It’s funny, I’ve had one of our foster babies and one visitor bunny (the famous "Camille" if you folks remember her) pee on our sofa in the living room.  Maybe there is something about being off the floor that makes them feel the need to go, or maybe it is something in the smell of all of the people who have been on the sofa?  Our male bunny, DJ, has peed on my daughters’ beds more than once too.  I think he does this when the kids smell like another bunny or when we have a foster in the house as a way to "claim" them as part of his harem.  Silly rabbits.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR rabbit peeing on couch