Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit nail clipping, in need of help please

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLass568
      Participant
      446 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know where else to put this topic so I’m sorry that it’s probably in the wrong place. Can someone help me find a rescue or some place where I can get my bunnies nails clipped? The vet I take them to says they’d need an examination every time they get their nails clipped which is about $60-$70 altogether (nail clipping is like $15-$20 and the rest is an examination), I can’t afford that. I heard that rescues can do nail clips only for roughly $15 and that’s something I might be able to do once a month. Not ideal but better than not at all or asking my older sister for help since she rarely comes up. Anyway, can anyone help me out?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• DanaNM
        8942 posts Send Private Message

Your best bet is to google your location + “rabbit rescue” and see what comes up.

The house rabbit society has a list of local chapters but that may not be all-inclusive:

HRS Chapters

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• BunnyLass568
            Participant
            446 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for your reply! I tried that and the closest rescue is about 2.5 hours away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• DanaNM
            8942 posts Send Private Message

It might be worth trying some different ways of doing it by yourself in this case. It’s really frustrating that your vet will require an exam every time. I know some members with really squirmy buns will just clip one at a time (while bun is just resting on the ground) and keep a schedule of which nail is next. I’ve even seen people clicker train their bun to allow nail trims without use of restraint.

I don’t normally recommend trancing, but in cases like this it may also be warranted (if the alternative is a long trip or a visit to the vet).

For 2 of my buns I can clip their nails alone using this method:

For one of them, I usually need a helper but if that’s not possible I have tranced him before to clip. There are also various ways of wrapping bun in a towel and exposing just one foot at a time.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
              16910 posts Send Private Message

That is strange that they would require an exam each time. My vet’s office will have a vet tech do it.

• pinkiemarie
                Participant
                414 posts Send Private Message

I also find that strange. I had to do nail trims at the vet for years and indeed she weighed and examined teeth and ears every single time but only charged me $20 per bun.

Is there someone besides your sister who you might be able to lean on for help?

• mia
                  Participant
                  520 posts Send Private Message

Have you asked regular pet grooming places? Some places can do / have experience with bunny nails even though they don’t advertise. Just make sure to check their prior experience first.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit nail clipping, in need of help please