Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit more clingy than usual

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Brooke
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

My rabbit Alfie has for years been an indoor rabbit but we’ve only recently (couple months ago) moved him to be outside all the time (I know that this isn’t a forum for outdoor rabbits but I thought that because he’s only recently been outside permanently it was still relevant on here). I’ve noticed that he’s getting very hyped to see me as he’s always been shy. He sticks his head through the bars to get my attention, always putting his head under my hand to get a pat. Does someone know if his behaviour is normal or signalling that something might be wrong? Like I said he’s never really wanted this much attention so I’m really not sure if it’s normal or not. He doesn’t look unhealthy and nothing about his eating or pooing has changed.

Thanks 

P.S. Alfie is about 4 and a 1/2 years old from Australia.

• Asriel and Bombur
        Participant
        1104 posts Send Private Message

It’s probably because he’s outside and no longer feeling stimulated and knowing people are constantly around. It sounds like he’s lonely.

• sarahthegemini
          Participant
          5584 posts Send Private Message

Why would you put him outside after having him inside for years? He’s probably very lonely.

• Wick & Fable
            5782 posts Send Private Message

I agree that the loneliness is most likely a factor coming into play. Although he may never had been “clingy” to you when he was indoors, your presence was there, he could smell you, his usual environment, and he had grown accustomed to where he was. Being outdoors is naturally isolating for a single rabbit, so seeing you, a familiar face associated with that utmost familiar indoor environment, is bound to trigger some high arousal like excitement. While it’s great to have a rabbit be so energized for your attention, I would think about what does that mean it’s like for him when you’re not there?

I am also curious about the change from indoor to outdoor. You are correct, that this forum is for indoor rabbits, and there are times when we have been able to help people resolve issues which prevented them from keeping their rabbit indoors.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Kiki
              Participant
              205 posts Send Private Message

He’s lonely. This makes me very sad. I am not trying to judge but 4.5 years is a long time to all the sudden put him outside.

• Bunny House
                Participant
                1241 posts Send Private Message

I do want to add, there are many illnesses and diseases buns can get like RHD and RHD2. Also, many predators are very smart and can open hutches like raccoons and take prey

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit more clingy than usual