Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit less energetic than usual.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • koki
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

So maybe like a month ago my rabbit Koki got spayed and she recovered fine and had been doing fine for a while until recently. Like 2 days ago she randomly started acting a bit lethargic. She just lays down or sleeps all day which is weird because she’s usually very chaotic and always finds stuff to do but she just isn’t as energetic. She still tries to steal treats and food but not like she used to. However she’s still eating and pooping like normal. Her poops even look healthier since she’s been eating all her hay and drinking her water. If I refill her hay bowl she’ll go eat as well, its JUST that lethargy that has me super worried. I don’t know if it’s because it’s hot since it has been very hot where I live but I don’t know whether I should take her to the vet since she’s eating fine and they might just tell me to keep monitoring. What should I do? Is this normal?

• Bam
        16879 posts Send Private Message

This actually doesn’t ring any bells. An adult bun tends to lounge pretty much all day and become more active in the evening. Rabbits are crepuscular, meaning they’re most active around dusk and dawn. They will adapt to an extent to the daily rythm of their humans. You might say rabbits are the ideal pets for people with 8-5 jobs. Between 8-5, buns naturally lounge.

If the weather is very warm, rabbits will be less active. Ideal temp for buns is around 57 F (14 C). If its hot, wild buns will withdraw to their cool warren’s underground. Our house buns don’t have that option, but they still retain the instinct.

Desexing doesnt really affect a bun’s true personality, but intact rabbits can have sexually-driven almost frenzied energy.

Keep keeping an eye on appetite and poop. Amount, size, shape and to an extent color say a lot.

• LBJ10
          16908 posts Send Private Message

Yes, I was going to ask if it has been warm there? I know a lot of areas have been going through a heat wave lately. When it’s warm, bunnies tend to lay around even more than usual. As Bam said though, it isn’t unusual for bunnies to be lazy during the day anyway.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit less energetic than usual.