Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit just gave birth and behavior completely changed

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cocoa
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit just gave birth 4 days ago and from last night she started showing wild aggression. She hasn’t been acting like herself at all and even lunges at me when I get her favorite treats. I believed it was hormonal but she wasn’t acting like that the first two days, I’ve heard it might be because I separated her from the buck ( he isn’t mine and doesn’t live with us ) but I don’t believe so, might that be the reason? And if I can’t get her fixed would her aggressive behavior continue or would she improve when her kit starts growing up?

• sarahthegemini
        Participant
        5584 posts Send Private Message

She’s going to be completely overwhelmed with hormones. Thus causing aggression.

It’s good that you separated her and the male as she could become pregnant immediately after giving birth otherwise.

Why can’t you get her spayed?

• Azerane
          4688 posts Send Private Message

Agression is not uncommon. As sarahthegemini said she is overwhelmed by hormones, in addition to that she is feeling a very strong protective urge towards her babies, so anything can be a threat. Keep your distance a little and try not to hover too much as that could be stressing her out and making her more defensive. If you need to check on the babies use slow, calm movements and talk softly to her. If you can gently pet her first then handle the babies that might help too.

She will likely calm down a bit as time goes on, but intact does are commonly more aggressive/defensive than spayed does due to hormones and their natural instincts.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit just gave birth and behavior completely changed