Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit in pain… I think

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lois
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone 

My rabbit Cinnabun stopped eating Friday night. I immediately started giving belly massages and syringe feeding critical care with baby gas drops. By the next night he was able to start eating herbs a little bit and now he’s eating and drinking all by himself just fine.

In the past when he’s had gas I’ve syringe fed and he’s bounced back by the next day all fine. However this time it seems different. I’ve noticed that when he lies down he will tooth grind only for a second but still. Also sometimes he’ll eat a bit if he’s food then sit hutched over for a minute before continuing. He also seems uncomfortable at times. He’ll lie down then pop back up and furiously start digging. Cinnabun it’s much of a digger except when he’s upset.

Does anyone know what could be happening? The vets where I live are good but not the most rabbit savy at times. There are some good vets that work there and love rabbits but honestly its the luck of the draw on whether or not I’ll get a vet that even cares. Maybe if anyone has any ideas about what could be the issue I could tell them to look for that?

And advice appreciated.

• Bam
        16879 posts Send Private Message

Teeth problems are common in rabbits, so that would be a thing to check. Its not possible to see rabbit molars without an otoscope, and even with an otoscope it can be difficult to get a good view. Even very tiny molar sours can cause a rabbit pain. Does he eat his hay now? Has he lost weight?

Most rabbit illness first manifest as partial or total loss of appetite. Any kind of pain can cause a bun to be less enthusiastic about food. If Cinnabun is a lop I’d ask the vet to check his ears. Ear inflammation is very common in lops. If its just in the outer ear canal, a vet will prescribe ear drops to soften whatever goo might be in there so it can be expressed.

It is very difficult when the bun’s symptoms are vague, esp if you dont have a rabbit vet.

• Lois
            Participant
            5 posts Send Private Message

Hi Bam

I was thinking tooth problems and I might ask them to check. But he’s been eating his hay and even more interested in that than his lettuce. Thankfully he’s not lost any weight.

Cinnabun is a lop. I think your right about getting them to check his ears. Hopefully its something small that can be easily figured out. I hate the idea that he could be in pain.

• Bam
            16879 posts Send Private Message

Wonderful that he’s eating hay and hasn’t lost weight!

It’s wise to get a lop eared bun’s ear checked (my vet says 1-2 times a year for asymptomatic lops), in order to nip any  problems in the bud. You can feel for lumps underneath the ear base yourself (gently, obviously), because its common for wax and debris to deposit there. If you feel lumps there, its best to use ear drops first to soften the goo, that will make it a lot less easier to express. A bun friend just recently went through this with one of her lops, it was quite an amazing amount of goo that came out over a series of days. The bun seemed very relieved after.

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit in pain… I think