Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE rabbit ice lollies??

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • Elena Niznik
      Participant
      132 posts Send Private Message

Hi all with Britain experiencing a freak heat wave and Scotland reaching the hundreds for the first time ever in my life time ( i’m 22) I wanted to treat my bunny Boo to a rabbt ice lolly. I thought about putting some chopped parsley or a sprig of mint in the ice cube tray with the water to make a tasty cold treat but not sure if this would be a good idea? what do you think?

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

I absolutely love that idea!  Mint, parsley, even rosemary. I think that is a great idea!  I am going to double check with a few rabbit savvy experts to make sure there isn’t anything that I’m overlooking that could be negative.  But I just cannot imagine what it could possibly be.  (I’ll check with a couple of rabbit savvy people tomorrow, and next week I’m meeting with a vet to go over a few other new ideas and tips, and I’ll add that to the list for review)

If it’s deemed a completely “safe” new tip. I’d like add that to warm weather tips (which is going to be added soon to the site) and I’ll be sure to credit your user name to that tip.

I’ll keep you updated.

Again, great idea. I can’t wait to try it on my bunnies.

• Elena Niznik
          Participant

Hey let me know what the experts say I’m desperate to try it but i will hold off  until i know for sure that it’s “safe”

• BinkyBunny

Okay, so far, everyone loves the idea.(3 other rabbit savvy people don’t see a problem with it, including a manager of a local House Rabbit Society Chapter)   The worst that they said is “It can’t hurt”.   I do meet with a vet next week to go over a bunch of new tips, but I plan on trying this with my own bunnies tomorrow.  I really don’t feel a there is a problem with it, especially since the house rabbit society recommends putting ice cubes in water, so I know nothing negative can come from the ice.   (my only concern was freezer burn or changing something in the actual green) but so far everyone has given a thumbs up.

The bunnies may may just watch it melt, but that’s okay, I’m still going to try it with rosemary, mint, carrot and maybe a raisin. 

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

one of our rescue volunteers made bunny popsicles that everyone went nutso over. She took some plums, bananas, strawberries and water and tossed them into the blender. She also added some basil which is pretty weird – but none of the bunnies seem to mind, lol. She blended it all up and filled up ice cube trays (only half sized cubes). I usually let one bunny lick it for a few minutes and then give it to a second one. They love them.

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

ooo I forgot to mention, it was really funny to see Hareiette’s expression the first time she got brain freeze, he he

• BinkyBunny

I love that idea too.  I have yet to make my bunnies their ice lollies. I keep meaning too, especially since it has gotten rather warm even here.   

Now I have to make some!  They sound even good to me – yummy – minus the basil.

• Lucy
                    Participant
                    370 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know how good this is, but I made myself a popsicle with cranberry juice. I noticed Fujoe was looking at me, I offered it to him and he took bites out of it— little bites of course. But it seemed enough to cool him off…

• Sarah Jones
                      Participant
                      99 posts Send Private Message

the metro showed two little piggy piglets eating their massive iceblock of vegetables! if piggies can have it, surely rabbits should be allowed to! i think i might try the basil one! it’s something to gnaw on anyway!

• BinkyBunny

Sounds yummy!  Since he takes small bites, it shouldn’t be a problem, but if you decide to make ice lollies just for Fujoe, you’ll need to water it down so he doesn’t get too much sugar.

• BinkyBunny

Okay, the vets word on ice lollies is it’s great, just be sure to make them light in sugar.  So some people may put juice, fruit smoothy type, that’s fine, just keep it watered down bit – not too concentrated.

SO, with that said,  Whoooohoooo.  New yummy treat okayed for bunnies.

Jack loved it.  Licked and licked.    Rucy gave a few little licks and left it alone.

I still have to make some for Bailey – she has a sensitive digestive system, so I have to make sure it’s pretty much sugarless.

Let us know how yours like ’em.

• Elena Niznik
                            Participant

Just as i know its safe to give my rabbits the ice lollies the weather in true scottish fashion has done a complete U-turn and its no longer weather for them. Oh well i will need to wait another life time before scotland sees temp figures in the 100’s .

• jacki fullerton
                              Participant
                              79 posts Send Private Message

My daughter lives in Los Angeles and they are having quite a heat wave. Her apartment doesn’t have air con, and her bunny, Bobby, is very warm. I told her the tips on your web site about the ice lollies. She made some with raisins in them. Bobby didn’t know what to think when she placed them in a bowl near him. He licked them a bit, then decided to wait for them to melt in the bowl. With the weather as hot as it was, that didn’t take long. She told me he would stick his head in the bowl of water to get the raisins, it looked like he was bobbing for apples! The picture of that in my mind made me laugh out loud! Thanks for the great ideas!

• BinkyBunny

It could still be a yummy treat even if it’s not hot.  I made mine with mushed bananas and strawberries – watered down to keep the sugar content down.  But they loved ’em even though the weather here was mild.  So maybe you don’t have to wait for the return of another heat wave.  

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE rabbit ice lollies??