Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit “House”

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Alicia Conklin
      Participant
      721 posts Send Private Message

Tucker loves her cardboard play house but she’s eating away at it and while I know that’s fun for her..they were the perfect size boxes and I worry that I won’t find them each time to keep it up.  So, I’d like to either find a wooden house with two layers or build one. 

So my question is..does anyone know where I could find something like that?  I want it to go in the pen..just something she can jump from level to level in and hang out when she wants some hidey hole alone time.

If not..I’m pretty sure I could have Mike make one pretty easily..but if I did that what kind of wood should I use?  I’m assuming she’d probably end up chewing on it so what woods are bad for a rabbit to chew on like that?  Does anyone know of a site that might have plans for how to make one?  Anyone even know what I am talking about?

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Not sure where you can buy one, perhaps a home-made crafts gift store? Personally I would just make it. Use plain, untreated pine. If you really want to color it you can use 100% vegetable dye (hint easter-egg dye – so if you have any leftover PAAS you can use them, be sure to read the ingredients first).

I know someone here posted a site that had the plans, and at one time they were free however someone started making them for a profit and so they started charging for the pattern. I think a simple box with a door in it will do or you can basically fashion it after your perfect-sized cardboard box.

• Alicia Conklin
          Participant

Well ok..here is the reason I wanted plans..man I hope Mike doesn’t log on…

I’m afraid if it’s just a wing it type plan for my husband to do it’ll come out all crooked and weird looking.  I’d like it to look nice so I thought if I had a plan to go by I could tell him to “do this now” and “this to make it like this” rather then letting him do it freestyle just nailing pieces together lol.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Shhh. Your secret is safe with me.   I totally understand. I did some searching, what about pictures?  Like here: http://www.leithpetwerks.com/prodpage.cfm?prod_code=BH100

Here you can see a listing of links under “Furnishings for Rabbits” FYI – I did a search on “rabbit hidey box plans”

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabcare.html#house

I saw quite a few pictures but not much in the way of plans for free. 

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

my Mike built two bunny houses out of wood. they’re pretty basic. if he can cut square, i think it will be fine.

this is the tall one.  you can see a shorter one next to it on the other side of the bars.  they rarely go in it anymore now that they have the willow tent tho…

• dmh426
                Participant
                433 posts Send Private Message

Honestly, I would just suggest buying one of the premade cardboard ones here. I get Sophie a new one for christmas every year and it works out great for us. Tucker sounds like she has a cardboard fetish just like Soph and if you take away her cardboard and replace with wood, don’t be surprised if she starts chewing on inappropriate things….like in my case, my pottery barn couch!

• skunklionshow
                  Participant
                  1257 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been eyeing the bunny maze!  Since you can modify the plan and make it multiple levels, I’m thinking that might be an awesome party for a bunny.  My worry is that the cat’s are going to be insanely jealous and attempt to use it for themselves.  I have a multi-level condo, and I agree the willow tent is the favorite hang out spot!

• Alicia Conklin
                    Participant

I’ve been eyeing a cottontail cottage or something of the sort but it won’t fit in the space that I want it to fit in the pen.   I pretty much have one grid’s width of space to put it in and the smallest I’ve seen is 18 inches.  The rest of the pen is only 2 grids high with no roof and Tucker would think nothing of jumping off the top of the cottage out into the living room and eating my carpet while we slept.   I might end up getting her one for Christmas though (right now I have two old diaper boxes that i found and cut some holes and stuck together) so we’ll see how long that lasts in there lol.  Unfortunately that was the last of the diaper boxes though since our boys are potty trained now. 

I was thinking about that too..with taking away her chewing spot and having her rebel and chew something worse.  I guess we’ll just keep making boxes and visiting sam’s club often in search of the perfect box lol

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit “House”