Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Rabbit has mats on back of front legs

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Peanutthebunny
      Participant
      239 posts Send Private Message

Hi everybody, I just got my first rescue bun peanut just over three weeks ago, and we are just getting him used to being groomed. My rabbit peanut has some mats on the back of his front legs that I can’t get off. I brush him on top of a large blue cabinet I have, but today, he jumped off the cabinet when I was trying to get the mats off.

So does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get the mats off (maybe cutting the mats off with scissors)

Thank you in advance

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

I’d cut them off with scissors. Don’t cut too close to the skin (obviously). It’s way less hassle for both you and the bun to cut off mats and start “afresh” with a good brushing routine. The hair will grow back (again, obviously), but how long it takes depends on where in his hair growth cycle he is, rabbits don’t have continuous hair growth like us humans have.

Congratulations on your new bun! 🥰

• HipHopBunny
          Participant
          640 posts Send Private Message

I don’t have any advice on this, but I wanted to drop in and say congradulations on your new bun!! I’m so thrilled for you!! 😀 Peanut will be very lucky to have you.

• Peanutthebunny
            Participant

Thank you for the replies; everybody peanuts hair does grow back quickly because he is only a year old. When I cut the mats of how do I keep him still because he bites when I try to keep him still, and he also tucks his legs in

• Cinnamon Bun
              Participant
              205 posts Send Private Message

@RabbitLover908 – OMG, yay! I’m so happy for your new baby!  

• Bam
                16877 posts Send Private Message

It’s best if you can get someone else to help hold him for you, while you do the cutting. You often only have to cut halfway into the mats, then the rest is often possible to disentagle with your fingers. You pull out the “dead” fur and leave the rest.

• LBJ10
                  16908 posts Send Private Message

If it’s really bad, you could shave it. I would use a beard trimmer (LOL) because it was quieter and less scary.

• Peanutthebunny
                    Participant

Hi, thanks. The mats aren’t giant, I tried To cut them myself, but I will need someone else to hold peanut. Thank you for the replies

• LittleLionMan
                      Participant
                      133 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes they will get them themselves or will pull a bit to help disentangle them a bit. I have a lionhead who gets mats around his tush and back of his neck. Neck is super easy and more often than not I can get them with my fingers or a quick snip.  The tush is more difficult for me.  I’ve found nail scissors to be prime because they make little/no noise (mine will run if he hears or sees anything “suspicious”) and they don’t resist or pull hair. I might go in and get the surface of the mat, which can sometimes help it separate. If not, I try and wiggle a pinky or something between the mat and skin into avoid cutting anything other than fur.I don’t have much experience with foot mats, which seem a bit difficult to get. worst case scenario you shave it or take peanut to the vet for a pedicure snd a little haircut.  Good luck!

• DanaNM
                        8935 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes if you just trim the edge of the mat you can work the rest of it out by hand. Try pulling on the sides of the mats, that often will help break them up.

And congrats on the bun! Of course we want to see pictures!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cinnamon Bun
                          Participant
                          205 posts Send Private Message

@DanaNM – Lol, I was gonna say that, but then I was like… heh, I don’t wanna pressure. But seriously… Peanut pics! Lol, I just know he’s adorable!  

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Rabbit has mats on back of front legs