Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit Fur Color Designations

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • MimzMum
      Participant
      8029 posts Send Private Message

Okay, I’m having a little trouble finding an image here and I wonder if someone can help me out.

I was looking up tortoiseshell lop bunnies on Google, trying to find out what color exactly that little lovely was that I had hoped to adopt, but who got bought before I could snatch it up. I thought for sure that the broken black and tan coloring on it was considered ‘tortoiseshell.’

But when I pull that up on the web, I get tons of pix of bunnie who look just like my Mimzy!

So okay…once and for all…..what breed/color do y’all think Mimzy is?

And then what would one call the black and tan blotchy-colored bunny I saw?

Thankies in advance for your help! ^_^

1813224543771.jpg

• Cassi&Charlie
        Participant
        1260 posts Send Private Message

I’m really interested because mimzy looks like my Layla – carbon copy!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

Yes and my friends rabbit has a similar coloring!!

[script removed]IMG_1394.jpg picture by kokaneeandkuhluha

• MimzMum
            Participant

Awes! *squee!* K&K how old is that one? What a cutie! ^_^

Mimzy was little in the upper pic, his ears hadn’t fully lopped yet, when we’d found him at my hubby’s business. The lower one is a few months ago.

I think the color I’m looking for is called ‘harlequin’…however the only pic I have of one is not dark enough on the black spots.

181392643971.jpg

• Deleted User
              Participant
              22064 posts Send Private Message

I’m sure Mimzy is colouring ‘Sooty Fawn’ which Luey is … both are very similar in colouring.

• Sarita
                Participant
                18851 posts Send Private Message

He’s not a Harlequin – they have distinct facial markings and are more blotched all over like a tortie cat.

Maybe his color is called tan.

• LittlePuffyTail
                  18092 posts Send Private Message

I think Stormy’s colour is Harlequin. The guy in my avy. Can anyone verify this?

K&K- That rabbit looks almost exactly like Olivia!! I actually had to look twice

• Sarita
                    Participant
                    18851 posts Send Private Message

Yes, LPT, your Stormy is a Harlequin color – he has the torti look and the half black and half orange face. Very striking.

I’ve had an orange and black harlequin too and she was gorgeous – very large bunny.

We also had 2 pair of harlequins at the rescue I help at – one pair was more white and gray and the other were the orange and black and they were stunning. I had never seen the gray/white combo before either. If I remember too they were “show bunnies” at one time left out to die in hutches which is the only reason I would have suspected the gray pair to be harlequins too.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Ohhhh your right he does look exactly like Olivia!! How’s she doing btw? Do you know what her color is called/or breed? My friend is curious but it’s not keeping her up at night if you don’t know! LOL

AND Stormy is just about the most gorgeous harlequin I’ve ever seen btw

• bunnytowne
                        Participant
                        7537 posts Send Private Message

Yes that is a harlequin color. You can look up Harlequin rabbits and check out their site. The actual breed Harlequin is a medium sized bun. There are 2 kinds of harley colors. The magpie and the japanese.  I am finding the harley colors are becoming popular In all sizes and greeds. Also the harlequin lionheads is a throwback from I believe England somewhere where they were  first discovered.

The Harlequin breed itself tho is medium size and pretty mellow. Very docile.

• bunnytowne
                          Participant
                          7537 posts Send Private Message

Mimzy your pic of the rabbit on your first post is a blue or black tort.  Honey Bun is like that and my friend who has shown buns came over and we had fun. She told me HB was a blue tort.      I thought he was honey color myself.  Hehehe. But the professionals say tort. So tort it is.

The Harleqins the goal is for the  face and ears to have opposing colors. right ear brown right side of face gray   it goes like that. Just fill in your own colors.

The body had circles the brown will be darker on one side and lighter on the other. That is the breeders goal. I think the color got peoples attention and now different breeds are picking up harley colors to add a new color to the mix.

• MimzMum
                            Participant

Yes, the Harlequin is definitely the color of that bun I saw in Petco a few weeks ago that I’d wanted so much, but got adopted before I could wheedle my hubby into it.

I always thought Mimzy was a Holland Lop. That may indeed be his breed but I was getting confused between the sooty fawn and the tort. >.< My head's still spinning with all the colors! ^_^

How on earth could someone just leave such beautiful bunnies out to die? *grrr!* I hate people who ‘show & blow’…show the bunnies, get the blue ribbon to brag about (or not) and then blow off the rest of their responsibility to the bunnies. >

I am hoping at some point I find another of the Harlequins (the one at the store was a lop that totally reminded me of Mimzy for how mellow it was in the tank with all those others running all over and crowding it) and if they are good temperament bunnies, well that just clinches it for me. I’d really like to find one like that as my third bun.

Not that I wouldn’t still keep my eye out for a bun that needs their forever home, no matter what color it was.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit Fur Color Designations