Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Rabbit Fight Emergency – Please help!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • MooBunnay
      Participant
      3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi! So in my experience with buns the one area I’m really lacking in is wound care…and I’m hoping someone can help me out!

I came home yesterday and saw my boy Kramer that is bonded with Juli in RAYMOND’s cage instead of Juli’s…I have not a clue how he got in there, but he was calmly grooming, unfortunately little Raymond was a frightened pile of bunny fur in his litter box.  I checked him and he has a bite in his ear (small, but all the way through his ear) a cut on his lip, and the most concerning injury is a bite to his eye lid, a small chunk of his eyelid is now hanging slightly into his eye.

He is eating OK, hopping around alright, and none of the injuries are bleeding now, but I have no idea how to clean the wounds.  I am planning on going to the vet to get Baytril (Baytrol?) tomorrow, but I am afraid to bring him in because he must have spent the whole night extremely frightened, and I don’t want to scare him again tomorrow. so I’d like to clean the wounds myself, especially since they are not bleeding, and not INCREDIBLY deep (though really scary!)

• x liddo bunny x
        Participant
        314 posts Send Private Message

ive had that problem as well. i once came home and mochi had a nick on her back. it was not bleeding at the time but it looked like a dried up wound. it healed up fine right now but i dont want to have the same thing happenagain and i am not prepared. what should we use to clean tiny wounds?

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

I just dropped you an email, poor lil guy 🙁

• MooBunnay
            Participant

Hi! So i just got back from the vet this morning, and I of course, as a very over-protective bunny mom freaked out a taaaad more than necessary, Raymond is going to be OK.  For the wounds, the doctor prescribed these things:

1. Baytril – Raymond will be taking Baytril for awhile to make sure no infections develop

2. Tiny dabs of REGULAR neosporin (not neosporin PLUS painkiller, apparently thats bad) if i feel like I want to give the wounds a little attention

3. For the eye wound, and ear wound – eye drops 4 times a day

4. Possibly surgery if the mass that was created by Kramer’s bite starts to irritate Raymonds eye, for the time being, it is just going to heal, and be a little lump on his eyelid – the vet said thats OK, just a good story for the laaadys (I like this new vet already!)

So hopefully the surgery will not be necessary. I gave Raymond his Baytril for the first time today and he promptly did a *Flick Flick Flick Flick* with his front feet and started wiping his mouth, and then acted very dramatic about the whole thing and thumped at me for a) putting him in a carrier b) taking him to the vet c) letting a vet poke and prod him and d) feeding him sticky meds.

Also, and FYI for people in the LA area, this was my first time to the Harbor Animal Pet Hospital (my old vet moved to the OC and apparently is not practicing at the moment) and I really thought it was a nice place, the people were nice, and the vet was funny and was talking to Raymond…I always like it when the vet treats my animal like a person just like I do! So if anyone is looking for a vet, its not a bad place to go AND they have vets on 24 hour emergency call in case of an emergency.

• skunklionshow
              Participant
              1257 posts Send Private Message

I can understand your nervousness and anxiety and Raymond.  Jessica was attacked by her cage mate Oreo earlier in the year.  She had over a dozen puncture wounds and needed to be anesthetized to get stitches in her belly. 

Jessi got regular baytril, 2x day wound soaks, and ointment applied to her wounds.  She was on strict cage rest for a few weeks.  She ended up doing well.

FYI:  some vets don’t like neosporin b/c bunnies have such sensitive systems (digestive).  As an antibacterial it is possible that it may kill some good bacterias.  I go w/ whatever my vet says…b/c they are the ones that oversee the care of my pets.

• MooBunnay
                Participant

I remember hearing about Jessica, that is SO frightening if that happened to my buns I would prob. have a nervous break down (after getting them to the vet of course!)  The vet told me just a teeeeeeeeny dab of neosporin, and since the wounds are on Raymonds ear, and eye, I think it is probably OK because he would only ingest the teeny bit on his ear if anything. I haven’t actually put any on, because the cuts seem to be healing nicely.

The great thing that has come out of this is that it finally motivated me to bunny proof my bedroom, and now Raymond gets to play in there, so Kramer and Juli get the living room, and Raymond gets the bedroom and everyone is happy!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Rabbit Fight Emergency – Please help!