Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Rabbit experts needed

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLass568
      Participant
      434 posts Send Private Message

I hope this is the right topic place to post this, if not I’m sorry.

Anyway, recently on tumblr I saw a post about someone ranting about misinformation on rabbit care and they said something’s that I know were incorrect but they made it sound like they were an expert. So I was wondering if some real experts could clear a few things up! I don’t think I’ll reblog their post with the correct info but I do want to post it to my website but you guys would be anonymous unless you say otherwise.

What do you guys think of giving rabbits pellets like one gives their dog kibble? The person said that rabbit pellets contain all the nutrients that they need and that the pellets are the whole diet to rabbits like how dog kibble gives all the nutrients to dogs and are pretty much their whole diet.

What do you think of trancing a rabbit? They said it’s actually safe although I know for a fact that there have been studies done to prove that it’s an actual traumatizing thing for rabbits.

I want to ask about wire flooring however that’s probably too controversial though I know most rabbit owners tend to avoid it so if you want to give your insight to that then go ahead!

And what do you think of this statement? (This is in context to a rabbit in an outside encloser.) “Rabbits are very hardy. it has coverage from the rain, which is important, and rabbits’ fur protects them from very cold temps. the only thing to consider is if it gets very hot, the rabbit will need to be cooled down.” Last I knew when things get too cold a rabbit can get frost bite and even die of hypothermia which is one of the reasons why people push for rabbits to live indoors.

Those were basically the only issues I have out of the whole post and again, I’d love to hear what our experts have to say! Thanks for reading to those of you who did read and thanks to those of you who may answer! And sorry that this is so long.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Current: Blossom and Thumper (5 year old buns)💖💖💖💖 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, 2-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, 9-14-2020), and Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, 8-3-2022) 💔💔💔💔

• Ellie from The Netherlands
        Participant
        2512 posts Send Private Message

I’m editing this as I write, because the page keeps reloading and I lost what I typed.

<hr />

Maybe you should present them with the actual research by experts, science has no opinions, it just has facts.

About the importance of hay consumption:

From: https://biblio.ugent.be/publication/600517/file/609545

“The ideal diet consists of grass and coarse hay, occasionally supplemented with dry pellets (maximum 10% of the total diet) and fresh vegetables. This kind of abrasive diet prevents tooth overgrowth and is also beneficial to the gastrointestinal system.”

Participant

Tip: if you want to find a scientific article and need a short answer to a question, search for: abstract [keyword] [keyword].

An abstract is the start of any scientific publication to give people a quick overview of what the study was about and what results they found. Abstracts are usually free as well, which is a bonus!

About trancing opinions vary:

http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/id/eprint/11361/ says: only use it minimally and if owner is experienced.

“The conclusion was drawn that both the physiological and behavioural responses of rabbits to TI are indicative of a fear motivated stress state (Day, 2004). This confirms the previous assertion that the promotion of TI as a means to increase a bond between owners and their pets, because the rabbits enjoy it, is misplaced (McBride, 1998). It may be appropriate for veterinary surgeons, and owners to continue to use this method for minor procedures, such as nail clipping as it holds less risk than anaesthesia. However, the data suggests that rabbits should only be put into TI when necessary and owners and others educated appropriately.”

Vets themselves say: only do it in certain vet procedures as a last resort. Don’t try this at home!

From: https://rainsbrookveterinarygroup.wordpress.com/2015/05/13/rabbit-misconception-trancing/

“In the UK most rabbit experts, welfare organisations and vets caution against the use of TI or recommend it is only used as a last resort; for example a nervous rabbit needs examining and other means of restraint has failed, or it is required instead of a anaesthetic.”

Participant

Oh crud, it won’t let me edit, because it all needs to go past a moderator if you post one link. Well, I’ll make separate posts then…

About impact of hay on GI health:

“The feeding recommendations for the pet or house rabbit include grass hay fed ad libitum, dark leafy green vegetables fed at one cup per 5 pounds of body weight, and a maximum of 1 cup of high fiber pellets per 5 pounds of body weight. These recommendations are based on the feeding behavior, anatomy, and gastrointestinal physiology of the rabbit. Feeding this diet reduces the occurrence of common gastrointestinal tract disease in the house rabbit.”

From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7258705/

“Rabbits with a regular diet consisting primarily of pellets without adequate fresh hay supplementation are at increased risk for development of GI stasis… Rabbits at low risk are those fed diets of unlimited, good-quality, high-fiber grass or timothy hay, a moderate amount of fresh leafy greens, minimal pellets, and no or only occasional treats.”

Participant

If common sense or empathy for animal welfare doesn’t work, slap them with science!

Participant

There’s little research about wire flooring for pet rabbits, it’s mostly about industrial scale rabbitries.

The results of these studies are often mixed. Yes, wire floors are better for hygiene. But yes, they also cause sore hocks.

Our beloved house rabbits get their hutch cleaned often enough, so the “hygiene benefit” of wire flooring is invalid for our situation. Wire flooring DOES cause sore hocks in rabbits who live for more than a couple of months, such as breeding stock rabbits.

From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4494398/

“Rabbits in conventional farms are housed in wire net cages with mesh floors; these separate them from droppings and maintain a certain level of hygiene [1]. An adult female or male rabbit lives under these conditions, until it dies or is culled; the median culling age per doe is 14.9 months old and 17 months old per male [2]. The existence of lesions in the plantar region of the limbs, named sore hocks or ulcerative pododermatitis [3], was evident since rabbits were reared on this type of floor [4]. Sore hocks are typically influenced by the environment [5], as is lameness in milking cows [6]. This condition causes chronic pain and suffering [7].”

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Rabbit experts needed