Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit Digging In Litterbox

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • JackWabbit13
      Participant
      73 posts Send Private Message

Hey y’all!

Jumping Jack likes to dig in her litter box now, I guess. It started a week or two ago. She digs a bunch in there, then it gets kicked out into a HUGE pile in the front under the hole. It’s also loud, I use Feline Pine which is super loud when dug in, as it turns out

Has anybody had to deal with this before? How do you break the habit?

• Ellie from The Netherlands
        Participant
        2512 posts Send Private Message

Females can dig a lot when they’re not spayed yet, like they’re making some kind of nest.

Or it may be that she doesn’t like the surface. Do you have anything on top of the pellets? Our bunnies always like a layer of hay: they even eat more from their box than from their hay rack.

• JackWabbit13
            Participant
            73 posts Send Private Message

She’s spayed, but it’s just the litter. Maybe I can try to do hay over it

• Ellie from The Netherlands
              Participant
              2512 posts Send Private Message

Ah yes, I can see that it can be uncomfortable for her paws. A 2 cm layer of hay also protects against contact with the urine.

Rabbit urine is nasty concentrated stuff: my boyfriend’s first bunny peed her way through the steel bottom of her hutch over the course of 5 years.

The ammonia in the urine irritates the skin and can cause painful inflammation of the feet and sores. I’d give her hocks a quick check just to see if she’s been in contact with it lately.

Hope that this helps and that she’ll be a lot more quiet!

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

I have had very good luck with using a litter screen like the ones sold in the BB store. Puts an immediate stop to the digging.

• DanaNM
                8935 posts Send Private Message

I agree with a litter box screen! and I put a hay layer on top of that.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit Digging In Litterbox