Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit Care/Advocacy

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kokaneeandkahlua
      Participant
      12067 posts Send Private Message

You know, someone raised a very good point the other day…WHY are all these products that are no good for rabbits being sold and we have to go all over H’s half acre to get what we need???

People spend tons on their pets and the pet industry is booming…

WE should TELL these  companies what we want -AND what we don’t want sold (ie. yogurt drops/seed sticks).

If I wrote a form letter addressing all these issues, and posted it here, along with the mailing addresses for all the major pet companies-how many of you would want to spend half an hour printing them off and , a couple bux on postage, to mail to each company along with your signatures??? I think we should make a STINK!! BINKYBUNNY STYLE (ie. lots of us, politely and assertively )

• minnieservis
        Participant
        98 posts Send Private Message

I would definately do it. I was just at Petsmart 2 days ago and there are tons of snacks and toys I know that my bunny shouldn’t be eating. Yet they keep selling them! It makes me sad to think some people don’t realize a lot of this stuff is bad for their babies

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Well I’d rather give my business to rescues who sell or to companies on-line that deal with small animals for hay and stuff so I think there are lots of good resources out there for us other than pet stores.

I think it makes a greater impact to support those businesses and rescues and take the sales away from those companies and stores that sell the “junk”.

• TARM
            Participant
            1253 posts Send Private Message

It’s funny that you suggested this because just this morning I wrote a letter to Midwest asking them if they’d consider making a cage similar to the ferret nation for rabbits. In the letter I told them how much space rabbits actually need, what we as rabbit owners are looking for, and how rescues and rabbit people would encourage others to buy their product. I faxed the letter in, I hope they take a minute to read it.

• minnieservis
              Participant

Hmm Sarita makes a really good point too… The only bad thing is there aren’t any rescues or anything like that nearby so I either have to order online or go to the pet store and sometimes I need hay or something quickly and don’t have the time to order online. Unless I start planning ahead which is something I’m bad at lol

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant

Whoops what I ment was the pet companies that make the products-not the pet stores!!

Pet stores just sell whats available -its the companies making junk that we don’t want and not making good stuff that need the heads up!!

• minnieservis
                  Participant

Tank and Rangers Mom- that’s so cool that you did that! I always envy ferret cages since they look so great for them! Yet they never have anything that cool already made for bunnies. I hope they read it and do something about it!

• TARM
                    Participant

That’s just it though, people are buying the crap because that’s what’s available and they don’t know better. People who buy from rescues generally do it BECAUSE they want to support that rescue, not because they can’t find what they want commercially. You can always find what you want if you look hard enough. I don’t think it would hurt the rescues, I think the larger companies could actually work with the rescues by providing the product and giving a percentage of the sales to the group…that way the rescue doesn’t have to pay up front for products they hope to sell.

• Sarita
                      Participant

Yes, but I think the power of the purse and educating rabbit owners might be a better way to go with this.

The big companies are all about profit and hitting them where it hurts (their profits) would make a larger impact.

• TARM
                        Participant

What about the average rabbit owners who AREN’T nuts about their rabbits like we are? What about the people who know better than to feed crap to their animals but do it anyway because it’s more convenient than hunting down a store that’s only open during regular office hours or driving to a rescue that (in my case) is an hour away?

What message are we sending when we just don’t buy the products? If no one tells them what we want how will we ever get them to provide it?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant

Is it OK if I politely disagree Sarita? I think that enough people buy the products and we aren’t making enough of a financial impact. And owners who don’t research are buying these things….

but if they knew to make different better products, which more people would buy- they might go that route?

For example, lately I’ve seen a change in the types of feed for example-more timothy based foods being made by companies so they may have realized no one’s feeding junky alfalfa foods.

• Sarita
                            Participant

Well I think that’s where educating the average rabbit owner comes in place.

Why do you think that more companies are changing their types of feed?

I think that the internet has become very powerful and things like this forum and internet sites like House Rabbit Society and yahoo groups, etc…are making a huge impact on the “average” rabbit owner too so these sources are better because they are educating people one by one and that is probably what is driving companies to change but hey that’s just my opinion :~)

• reds2212
                              Participant
                              42 posts Send Private Message

I would definitely do it. I just moved to southern Illinois and they don’t have any rabbit rescues in the area. The local rabbit savy vet doesn’t sell supplies and neither does anyone else in the area so I have to order direct from Oxbow and I think everyone knows what the cost of shipping is like with them.

• TARM
                                Participant

Sarita, how would you suggest we get to the average rabbit owners to offer the education?

I’ve been toying with the idea of starting my own educational site, kind of like a virtual rescue, but I’m nowhere near knowlegable enough yet to take that on. I know House Rabbit Society is kind of the “go to” site for everything rabbit…but it’s not easy to navigate in my opinion. I also don’t find it attractive and didn’t enjoy looking for information there. That’s kind of how I wound up going to bunny class and finding this site.

I’d love to do some kind of outreach and maybe turn the bunny boyz into “ambassabuns” (bunny ambassadors) so people can see how affectionate and interactive bunnies can be.

It’s funny because Pit Bulls have been my passion for years…but the more we educate the more it seems the public turns a deaf ear to the owners of the temperamentally sound dogs. I’ve lost my drive to work for the dogs. I’ve even begun to feel like I’m fighting a losing battle. Now that I’ve got the rabbits I feel that passion coming back and I want to focus my energies on improving the lives of bunnies everywhere. I just don’t know where to start.

• Sarita
                                  Participant

Well I started out as an average rabbit owner too totally ignorant of everything and I found the House Rabbit Society website on-line and got a lot of information there.

I’ve been lucky enough to have rabbit rescues in my area and I helped form a small fostering/rabbit education group (that is now defunct) and was a Fosterer and Educator at one time for House Rabbit Society and am now a board member for another rescue group.

I’ve done many events which is mainly education and even at my vet office when I bring my rabbits in for care I find lots of opportunities their for education. But I’ve also found that those people who don’t want to know just aren’t going to change – I’ve found honestly though more positive than negative when dealing with people. You still get stupid remarks from people but those are the people who aren’t willing to be educated anyway.

I recently spoke to a lady who does 4H because she called the rescue and I answer the phone messages and I wasn’t successful over the phone with her.

• Battie
                                    Participant
                                    201 posts Send Private Message

Tank, an educational site is a very good idea, but how many exist already that no one reads?

I think pet owner ignorance is a huge factor in why these products are still sold. We expect pet stores to know what’s best, so we buy what they suggest. In fact, I thought rabbits were incredibly boring animals and would never have considered one, based only on the rabbits I’ve known who were owned by people who didn’t know how to take care of them. It wasn’t until I visited the shelter and was given myth-dispelling materials that I saw the possibilities.

Can we encourage shelters and pet stores to have literature like that? Would they listen?

Also, what’s wrong with yogurt drops? O_o Sometimes I’ll give Quincy one of my mousie’s…

• TARM
                                      Participant

Sarita~what do you mean when you say you weren’t successful with her? What did she call about?

Battie~I know there are tons of sites out there that no one is reading. It’s a shame that all of those resources aren’t being used.

But, back to the pet store products, I don’t see why we can’t educate people AND plead with the supply companies to stop selling “crap, the bunny won’t die if he eats this, and better than everything else on the shelf” and start offering selections of “good, better, best”

• Nicci607
                                        Participant
                                        320 posts Send Private Message

Sorry K&K!! I’m basically one foot out the door. don’t have much time but just wanted to jump in here. I’d definitely help you with this!! …BinkyBunny stink style…LOL

I have been going mad about this issue for a while……and I believe TOGETHER we CAN produce change!! Your idea is pretty good.

• Ana
                                          Participant
                                          182 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s great that there are resources like BinkyBunny and HRS, etc., but I think it’s important to realize this is not just a bunny epidemic. Before I got Evie, I was looking at getting a gerbil, then a mouse, then a rat. ALL food and housing have the same common problem as with bunnies– food is ALL junk, and even unhealthy, and all housing is very poorly designed. Rodents are chewers and not all can be potty trained– so why are 90% of houses made of plastic that can be chewed (unhealthy) and ruined by urine?? It’s not just bunnies, it’s the WHOLE pet industry that isn’t about natural things. Thank goodness for Supreme Pet Food and Oxbow…

• RabbitPam
                                            11002 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes if you want a particular product you can request a local grocery store or pharmacy order it for you, the implication being you are a returning customer who will buy it there and make it worth their while. You do it by speaking directly to the manager.

It’s possible that if requests were made at pet supply stores for stocking, say, Oxbow products, and they were purchased there regularly, the stores would see it as worth stocking up on. That way you’d get the good stuff close to home and other shoppers would see it on the shelves and try it. The word gets spread.

(And that doesn’t mean that you don’t keep ordering from rescues and vets. Just get it frequently enough to make it worth their while.)

• Aina067
                                              Participant
                                              52 posts Send Private Message

yeah, but…I really do not want support those big chains by shopping there. that’s not good…

Chains like petco and petsmart employ poorly trained people, if trained at all. they only sell but do not give ppl any pet care advise they can use [most of the time]. plus, they don’t care about the animals, they’re just in for the money. unless ppl do their OWN research they’re screwed. and most ppl don’t even care. you see so many ppl in stores like petco and petsmart buying any kind of animal – on impulse. shouldn’t be like that.  I personally,  what I can’t get at  a Tractor Supply Store, Wal Mart or from my vet I go online and order it [sometimes even cheaper and with no sales tax].  Many times I went to petsmart/petco only to find that what I needed wasn’t in stock. many times. And now since I know better I don’t shop there anymore anyway.

• Aina067
                                                Participant
                                                  Posted By TankAndRangersMom on 08/06/2008 12:23 PM

Battie~I know there are tons of sites out there that no one is reading. It’s a shame that all of those resources aren’t being used.

But, back to the pet store products, I don’t see why we can’t educate people AND plead with the supply companies to stop selling “crap, the bunny won’t die if he eats this, and better than everything else on the shelf” and start offering selections of “good, better, best”

that is SO TRUE

• Aina067
                                                  Participant
                                                    Posted By Battie on 08/06/2008 12:18 PM

Also, what’s wrong with yogurt drops? O_o Sometimes I’ll give Quincy one of my mousie’s…

Battie: yogurt drops can kill small animals. its made with dairy products…no good…

There is research to suggest that yogurt drops may contribute to fatal cases of enterotoxaemia, a toxic overgrowth of “bad” bacteria in the intestinal tract:

http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/diet/foods.html

http://www.specialneedspets.org/rabbit-diet.htm

http://www.mybunny.org/info/rabbit_nutrition.htm

…just a few sites with proper Rabbit Nutrition Info.

Please feel free to browse them

• Battie
                                                    Participant
                                                    201 posts Send Private Message

Oh my goodness! This is why pet stores need to hear from the experts! Milo mouse loves Yogies and I thought they were okay for him! I had no idea they could be fatal!

I’m really disturbed by this… is this my failing or just lack of info?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                      Participant

More what I meant was that we write to the suppliers, as pet stores just carry what they carry. You know, the people who make yogurt drops and seed sticks and junk food…Let them know we’d buy straw matts, yucca wheels, packages of dried fruit…healthy stuff!!

Then pet stores would carry them and we *could* shop there, but rescues and stuff would carry them too!!  That way people who are ignorant and just buy packaged stuff at pet stores-still end up buying stuff thats good for them. And theres no reason not to buy from rescues, because they’d of course carry the good stuff as usual-they just might not have to go to such trouble to get it!!

I’m not so much concerned with where to get the stuff, just the stuff that’s sold!!

• Deleted User
                                                        Participant
                                                        22064 posts Send Private Message

I have yogurt thingies that were made with powdered stuff still fatal??

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                          Participant

Yeh, no yogurt…and it doesn’t happen right away, so even though-ok they’ve had some-but they can get sick from an inbalance…so toss em in the garbage!!

Better treats -raisins, craisins, blueberries

• BinkyBunny
                                                            8776 posts Send Private Message

I agree that the pet product creators could really use some help to be influenced to make better foods, larger habitats, healthier treats.

The one thing about Petco and large companies is wow…you have to go through a bunch of bureaucracy type of stuff to get things looked at and approved. It’s not a quick process, so many suppliers have to deal with that “time and money” loss while they work it through the system. However, I don’t think just giving up is the answer either. I don’t think it would hurt, and who knows, in time, the continued push will get these things to finally go in the right direction.

• rabbitsmba
                                                              Participant
                                                              475 posts Send Private Message

It’s an on-going issue that is tough to conquer. BB is right, it’s hard getting through to the big places like Petsmart – they all work with the same companies and sell the same stuff nationwide. Here in Canada, we have a few smaller-chain pet stores like Global Pet Foods and Pet Valu who actually do carry healthier foods and of course a few specialty stores that sell the full line of Oxbow products. We have a great company up here called Martin Mills (www.martinmills.com) and their animal food is superior. They have spent years researching what is best for rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, fish, birds, even horses! And their line of food is carried in the smaller chain of stores.

Perhaps, if anyone has smaller chains like this available to them, start asking there. Tell them why you WILL NOT buy what they have on their shelves. Tell them how much it costs to order from Oxbows website and how THANKFUL you’d be if they looked into becoming a distributor. We as consumers need to speak up and tell them where we will and will not spend our money.

And it’s so easy for unsuspecting bunny caregivers to make all the wrong mistakes when you have unhealthy things like pine/cedar shavings, yogurt treats, fattening pellets and tiny cages all packaged with bunnies prominently featured on the front.

• Sarita
                                                                Participant

It’s true – I think that some of the larger pet food makers feel that the large pet stores are their consumers and not the person in the store purchasing the product. After all it’s the pet store that is purchasing the product – I think it would be difficult to get through to some of the big chains – although I did notice a Petland (ick) in my area is a distributor on the Oxbow website. I’m just not certain what products they seel and I’m not sure I could even stomach going into their store as they sell all kinds of animals and I just cannot see contributing money to them in any form.

Could be the case for all manufacturers for all I know since I’m not in that business.

There are some smaller pet stores and even some feed stores that sell hay and other products that get my money – especially the mom and pop stores – got to try to keep them in business.

• Erbear
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  155 posts Send Private Message

I’m in.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                    18092 posts Send Private Message

K&K- sorry I missed this post until now!!! I’m with you girl! You know how I feel about rabbit advocacy! They’ll be sorry when the two of us pair up and wreak havoc

And I quote from my RabbitStop catalogue I recently received:

Ecotrition Rabbit Diet: features a super-premium seed blend based on field research of rabbits dietary intake in their natural wildlife habitat. With the optimal variety of fruits, nuts, seeds, grains and Salad Supplement.

Field research of rabbits in their natural habitat eat nuts and seeds? HELLO!!!!

Just because you offer it and they eat it doesn’t mean it’s good for them. **Cough** McDonalds **Cough Cough**

None of the treats in this catalogue are even fit to come near a rabbit!

Viewing 31 reply threads
                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit Care/Advocacy