Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit Cage Question

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • minnieservis
      Participant
      98 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone

I have a question about my bunnys cage. I got her a cage that is about 28 inches long by about 25 inches high. I know she needs more space to hop around so I want to make her a pen. For right now I take her out of her cage everyday for a few hours to hop around my bedroom with me. I wanted to make the pen so she could come out of her cage as she pleases. I have a lot of space for a pen but it isn’t a particular shape, so I was hoping to find something I could put together and move around when I needed to. I was wondering if anyone knew of any products I could use to make a pen for her. I also wanted to know how high the pen should be so my bunny wouldn’t be able to jump over it. I already bunny proofed my bedroom so it wouldn’t be a big deal if she did get out. I already have a shih-tzu puppy, a kitten, a hamster, two mice, and two fish so I’ve pretty much given my bunny my bedroom so she has her own space away from the rest of the zoo lol. All the questions I’ve asked so far have always been answered and I really appreciate everyone’s help.
        Thanks so much for helping new bun mom!

~Lindsay and the gang — Luna Belle (puppy) — Maiya Fluffers (kitten) — Sprinkles Sunshine (hamster) — Betsy and Kiwi (mice) — and last but not least my new bunny who still remanes nameless (I’ve been trying to figuire out a name for 2 weeks now! lol)

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

i think that’s a good idea to make a pen for her. that cage is too small to be confined to.

my first thought would be to get rid of the cage altogether, or use it as a litterbox and get an xpen that is permanently set-up. if made square it is 4 x 4 feet, or you could even make it long and narrow so it would be 2 x 6 feet. the xpens come in a few sizes, but the smallest size (24 inches) might be too short. i’d get the 36 inch.

another option would be to construct a pen out of NIC grids. those could be easily pushed aside when she had playtime, but i’d suggest they stay up the rest of the time. if stacked two grids high the height is 28 inches. some bunnies can jump over that.

your final option would be to, again get rid of the cage altogether, and build a condo out of NIC grids.  it does take some time and creativity, but you can build in levels so when she is confined, she will have enough space.

• minnieservis
          Participant
          98 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the advice!

Where could I buy those? I don’t really know what they are but they sound like what I need…

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Osprey made a great little video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1r_LWrnbEX0

At Target they are called Neat Idea Cubes, but what they are is wire cube storage and they can also be found at Walmart, Bed, Bath & Beyond even has their own as well.  They really help you design a cage for your space and what you don’t have horizontally, you can go vertical and give them more area.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit Cage Question