Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Rabbit and cardborad/paper

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Snow
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hiya!
        Not sure if this is in the right area but my female rabbit loves boxes and paper, she loves to chew on it but i never find chewed up bits and im scared she might be eating it. I was wondering if anyone knows of what other things i can give for her to chew and play with or if its safe for her to chew and maybe eat?

Thank you!

• Bam
        16878 posts Send Private Message

Its not safe if a rabbit ingests too much cardboard and paper. It 8s cellulose, but its not proper food. A rabbit should eat lots of hay, if she fills up on cardboard and paper, she will probably not eat enogh hay. Hay is important for both the teeth and the GI function – as I’m sure you know.

Twigs from pesticide free apple or willow or other bunny safe trees (birch, linden  aspen, rowan, hazel etc) can be a good cardboard substitute, because they have nutrients and fiber and many rabbits find them very tasty. (They wont replace hay though, theres still nothing that beats hay for a rabbit).

Sometimes excess cardboard eating/chewing is a sign of a dental and/or tummy problem, especially if the bun refuses hay or eats very little of it. Rabbits will often eat more hay if you place several small piles of hay around the bun’s area. They often like eating hay from the floor (or from a fleece blanket etc that is placed on the floor).

You could perhaps restrict her access to cardboard and only let her have cardboard for a limited time every day, preferably a time when you can monitor her?

How do your bun’s poops look?

• Snow
          Participant
          2 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the reply, i have removed all the cardboard and paper but sometimes she finds some that got left (she freeroms the house when home) dw she eats plenty of hay and poops a lot, she has a large litter tray she goes in to with the hay. Thank you for the suggestions! ill look into finding these and hopefully she will enjoy it ^^

• Wick & Fable
            5782 posts Send Private Message

As Bam mentioned, it’s not poisonous and imminently harmful unless there’s something on the cardboard or too much is being ingested that deters the rabbit from eating hay. One of my rabbits is an avid cardboard eater, but at the same time she is an avid willow branch and hay eater, so I am not too concerned when she eats a hole from a cardboard tube.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• GraceandFlopsie
              Participant
              31 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Bam and Wick, it is not poisonous and will not harm you buns! Cardboard can be a fun chew toy but make sure they aren’t eating too much of it, bunnies need nutrients that they can’t get from cardboard or paper!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Rabbit and cardborad/paper