Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Quitting her antibiotics early?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • Alisha
      Participant
      202 posts Send Private Message

Luna was put on a 10-day long antibiotic (orbax) and pain meds as well. I actually ended up getting another thing of pain meds at a higher dose. BUT she seems a lot better. She actually ate a big chunk of greens last night and I’ve been forcing meds in her mouth for almost 9 days now? Do you think it’s completely safe to just call it good and stop giving her the meds? I slept in this morning and missed her normal medicine time by like 20 minutes but I was thinking that maybe it’s fine to just stop anyway? I read that overdoing antibiotics could end up being bad and maybe she doesn’t need a full 10 days anyway? And I don’t think she’s in pain anymore. It HAS been a while after her spay even if she did have a more complicated surgery with a bigger incision. Incision looks good. She’s getting the staples taken out on the 14th. The vet said I shouldn’t let her have any physical activity for two weeks either. What are your thoughts on that? I have her in a small-ish enclosure for now. She’s mostly just getting bored. 

• Kiki
        Participant
        205 posts Send Private Message

How long ago was she spayed? I know they tell you not to discontinue meds, but I stopped giving Indie pain meds after 3 days. She was miserable, I was miserable, and she was stoned and wouldn’t eat well. As soon as I discontinued them she was eating, and perked right up. I guess my thing is , you are her furmom only you can decide what you think is best

• Alisha
          Participant

She was spayed on the 1st and stayed overnight until the 2nd so it’s pretty much been almost 10 days anyway and I feel like it’s been overdone but yeah if you’ve read any of my other posts, she did have a dramatic experience. I still think it’s over the top though and she doesn’t need them. Her incision is closed up and I don’t see how she’s getting an infection anytime soon. And exactly, I think if I stop the meds, she’ll eat more – which is most important right now because it’s been this long and she’s still not eating much. I think the meds mess with her appetite a ton.

• Kiki
            Participant

here’s the thing, you can always try it for a couple days and see if her eating improves.  If there are problems you said she goes back to the vet soon, right?

• Alisha
              Participant

Well, ironically her stomach started making loud gurgling noises so I called the vet and they want me to take her in anyway haha so now that’s happening.

• Wick & Fable
                5781 posts Send Private Message

I would feel okay with stopping pain meds early if they seem unnecessary. I’m less liberal about antibiotics because they are treating/preventing something invisible, so it’s unclear if stopping them early will do more good than harm. I would consult with your vet!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Kiki
                  Participant

Has she been eating much? I know I read somewhere in the forum that gurgling is usually good because it means their tract is moving properly? I wish you luck with this vet thing, I know this has been an ongoing saga for you both.

• Alisha
                    Participant

That’s what I was thinking. She hasn’t been eating much at all then yesterday she finally ate like almost two large leaves of green leaf lettuce so I was asking the vet maybe that just meant she finally ate a good amount and it’s adjusting/digesting? She seems totally fine, lounging out on her side. She flopped. I have a feeling I’ll go in there today (an hour away) and pay an “emergency fee” for no reason. But oh well, better safe than sorry.

• Bam
                      16870 posts Send Private Message

It’s good you are seeing the vet. Infections can crop up when you stop antibiotics if not all bacteria have been eliminated. That can happen in a closed wound because the bacteria gets in when the wound is open and then they linger, “waiting” for the opportunity to start festering. 9 days or 10 days wont make a significant difference though. As for antibiotic resistance, there is actually no conclusive evidence supporting the claim that stopping a course of antibiotic sooner will increase the risk of antibiotic resistance. All use of antibiotics increases the risk of antibiotic resistance, which doesn’t mean you should not use antibiotics when they are warranted, in your case they absolutely are warranted.

As for physical activity, I agree with the vet. The internal wounds need two wwwks to heal after a normal spay, and Luna’s spay was complicated. The better safe than sorry-principle applies here too in ?

• Alisha
                        Participant

They want me to stop antibiotics now anyway, they gave me so probiotics to give her instead. She just had some gas from eating a lot of greens suddenly after not eating much and it passed way before we got there. She’s good and healthy

• Bam
                          16870 posts Send Private Message

❤? Yay!! Lovely news!

• Kiki
                            Participant

I am glad she is doing better, she sure is a lovely bun

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Quitting her antibiotics early?