Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Quincy went speed-dating…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Battie
      Participant
      201 posts Send Private Message

Hi.

This is going to be a long post, but I had a very interesting experience with kind of a confusing outcome.  I’d love to see what you think of it!

Recently I’ve noticed that Quincy has seemed very needy.  He doesn’t give me much affection (NO kisses), but he loves being pet and sometimes when I’m busy he’ll tug at my pants until I get on the floor and rub his head.  He’s also a very curious bunny, and since I’ve been busier than ever I thought maybe he needs a bunny friend to share all his energy with.  I thought he’d do great with another rabbit because he’s very easy-going and doesn’t get cage-aggressive (I boarded him for the first time a few weeks ago, and they commented on how he was so much less territorial than other rabbits they’d had.  He just loves to be pet!).

The shelter I adopted him from is really good with rabbits and offered to se up a speed-dating session for me. He had a chance to be the lovely ladies who were looking for a new home.

And he was really, really rude.

The first rabbit he met was a very quiet girl who was very sad and lonely because she’d been there a long time.  He was indifferent at first, but when he noticed her he pressed his face up against hers to ask for kisses, and she did the same.  But when he didn’t get a kiss, he started biting her rear! The poor thing just took it because she needed any kind of attention.  He behaved similarly with the next few rabbits.  He’d give them all of five seconds to give him a kiss, and if they didn’t he’d bite!

They thought this was unusual and thought maybe he’d be happier with a male.  The brought one in who didn’t have much interest in females, but Quincy treated him the same way.  Then the new male jumped into my lap.  Quincy lunged at him.  “That was over YOU!” they told me.

I couldn’t believe it.  Quincy was never bothered if I was near another person or a playing with a dog.  I didn’t think he cared one way or another.  But then this rabbit, who has never, ever sat in my lap, curled up in my crossed legs, pressed himself flat against them, and stayed there until we decided it was time to go.

They suggested to me that maybe a companion of another species would be best.  They suggested a dog because my mom’s dog doesn’t bother him at all (but he also doesn’t try to be pals with her).  My landlord won’t let me have one, though.  I can’t adopt a cat because I’m allergic to many of them.

I’m wondering if I gave up too early. I know bonding can be hard and I’m willing to give it a try, because I want him to have a good rabbit friend.  However, if it NEVER works, I have no room to house two rabbits seperately long-term.  I live in a studio.

I think Quincy’s big problem is he’s selfish with affection. He’ll take it but not give it.  The first rabbit was begging for it but he just got annoyed with her.  Can that be cured?  He’s always been that way with me and he’s been here over a year. 

What do you all think of this?

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

I did find it strange that the bunny rescue suggested a dog as a companion for your bunny. Also, it sounds right off that he is a dominant rabbit and his behavior isn’t really all that unusual actually. He just sounds very bossy, and he may be happier as a single rabbit, but I don’t think that you should give up just yet. He may be a better candidate for stress bonding to start out with.

Most rabbits will not just groom right away even if they are the most passive. The request to be groomed is a dominant move and many will go through this, but one will have to eventually give in. The fact that he ONLY seemed annoyed with the first rabbit’s request for grooming (a dominant move actually) is actually good. Being dominant himself, he could have attacked at that request.

All and all this really doesn’t sound all that unusual. Some people have bunnies that go into full attack mode and successfullly bond.

I suggest trying again, maybe even with the first bunny again…or try another shelter with bonding experience too.

Here are some great articles from the House Rabbit Society about introductions and also IF you truly do have a bunny that isn’t “bunny friendly”, then some suggestions:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/…difficult?

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-4/tough-bonding.html

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/…he%20Rule?

If you do decide to go back and do bunny dating, you may try some of the suggestions provided in this article

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/introductions.html

I am assuming your bunny is neutered, yes?

How long were each of the bonding dates for?

• MarkBun
          Participant
          2842 posts Send Private Message

I’d say that you are giving up too soon. The HRS near me suggested a cat for Maryann too when she would just not tolerate any rabbits. But I stuck it out and found a good bunny boy.

I would try a box bonding session with the next speed dating session. This is where you put them both into a litter pan, side by side, cheek to cheek and aggressively pet both of their heads at the same time with the same hand for about 30 seconds. This lets them know that you’re paying attention to both of them and you can get their scents on one another. Keep a dust pan nearby so that when you stop petting and they decide to go at one another, you can push it in between them. It didn’t work for me but it is the HRS’ tried and true method. If mounting happens, allow it to.

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

Your experience actually sounds like a very normal experience for a first bunny speed dating. I used to introduce bunnies all the time at adoption events, and this is very normal for a bunny to not groom on the first date…or second…it can take quite a long time. I think that you would definitely need a more passive female bunny, and I also agree that you should start out with a more aggressive technique to your bonding. The technique that MarkBun recommended is good for a speed dating time, just sitting with them and petting to see if you can calm him down is a good idea. Then, when you get them home you can try some stress bonding techniques, such as taking them in a carrier together for a car ride before starting the bonding session.

• RabbitPam
              11002 posts Send Private Message

I’m not crazy about their recommending a dog as a companion. From your situation description, that’s out of the question.
                I’d check out another shelter to try dating, if only to let him meet different bunnies, since you will probably want a passive female for his dominant self.

Is he neutered? His behavior will be much more aggressive until that’s done, so if not, I’d get that taken care of first, wait a month, then try again. He sounds like he will always have a dominant personality, but it will help. Don’t give up yet. There’s a shelter bunny out there who will love you both.

• Battie
                Participant
                201 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for the advice!

Quincy is neutered. The “dates” we short. We saw four or five rabbits in about an hour.

I thought it was odd too that we gave up so fast. I didn’t want to disagree because I’m definitely the least experienced, but I’m not convinced that Quincy’s a loner. I still think about the first rabbit we met. I felt so sorry for her because it was obvious she was depressed from not having a home for so long. She didn’t get upset when Quincy nipped at her hindquarters to try to move her. Do you think she might be that passive personality we’re looking for?

I figured they wouldn’t groom right away. I’m just worried because he never grooms me either, even though he loves getting affection from me. I’ll put up with it but I doubt another rabbit would. But he does lick my pillows and blankets furiously if he gets on my bed… does that mean anything?

Here is the setup I have for the bonding phase:

I live in a VERY small studio. I don’t have room for a practical X-pen setup, but Quincy has a large-ish NIC condo in one corner of the living area. I have a small traveling crate that’s not large enough for a permanent home but will be okay short-term. I can keep it under the window (a few feet from Quincy’s condo) or behind my desk, leaving me a small passage. This will be okay for a month or two, but obviously can’t be permanent! My plan was to have them both move into Quincy’s cage when they are bonded. If they are incompatible I’m in huge trouble!

• jerseygirl
                  22345 posts Send Private Message

Some of us here have talked about this before. It’s almost like single buns that haven’t been around others since birth almost need to re-learn to communicate with their kind. So the more dating, the better they become. I had also thought my doe was a loner. Now she is bonded to a buck and they’re happy. She’s dominant and will go off on her own but she’ll equally hang with her new pal.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Quincy went speed-dating…