Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Quiet without them!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • jellyrose
      Participant
      111 posts Send Private Message

Well…. we just dropped our "babies" off at the vet as Edward has GI stasis (I think). He was still interested in his food but would only eat a really small amount. He drank some apple juice, ate a little hay and after much encouragement took a treat this morning but he was so quiet, he just wanted to sit under the coffee table in his toilet!  Also no poops over night! Josephine has gone with him to keep him company and try and reduce the stress a little…. but it’s so strange not to have them here!

I’m wondering if the problem could have been caused by stress as he often wont eat for a couple of hours if we have to take him in the car. We’ve been away alot the last couple of weeks and have had a sitter come in to feed them and I’m not sure if he’s just a little bit stressed out by everything. I also think the sitter ignored my instructions about how much pellet food to give them… when we got back both times the bowel was almost half full.. I only give them a table spoon each a day.

We are due to go away in December again and now I’m really worried about leaving them! I think I might have to find another sitter! HAs anyone had experience with sitters staying in their house? I’m wondering if that might help them if there is someone around for more than 1/2hour a day?

I’m just waiting for the vet call now so fingers crossed he can come home this afternoon! I’ll keep you posted!

• babybunsmum
        Participant
        3896 posts Send Private Message

curious to hear comments about bunny sitters too… i’m hoping to get away for a week next year (first time in years!) but am concerned about what to do with Baby bun.  i would think a disruption of schedule could easily cause eating pattern changes.  good that you’re letting the vet sort it out.  there isn’t a lot of wiggle room with buns is there?

oh its difficult waiting for that vet call… i know!  i’m sending out lots of healing bunny vibes to you

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Healing vibes to Edward.

Stasis could be caused by so many things. Best to see what your vet says too. Stress could be a factor but then so could many many other things.

It wouldn’t surprise me too if the petsitter got lazy and just dumped pellets in their bowl.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

Yes…Is there anyone you are friends with or in your family who could look after them? My boyfriend’s mom looks after mine while I am away (bless her)…Maybe you have a friend who could watch and you can trade and watch their pet (whatever it is-or even their home and their plants) while they are away in exchange?
              I haven’t had a pet sitter, but I imagine if they are trying to run a business they may just do the least possible…
              It also costs less,as I usually just get her a little gift and a card for watching my monsters And you know you can trust (usually) your family/friends

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

Heh, most of my family and friends wouldn’t know what to do with a bun.

Whenever I’ll be gone for a while, I have put Maryann up at a local vet where they actually have such a thing as a “Cardboard Castle” just for buns to play in. Next time, though, I’ll probably put her up at the HRS as they seem to know what they are doing. Just hope she doesn’t get accidentally adopted out while I’m gone.

• babybunsmum
                Participant
                3896 posts Send Private Message
                  Posted By markusdark on 11/21/2007 12:49 PM
                  I have put Maryann up at a local vet where they actually have such a thing as a "Cardboard Castle" just for buns to play in. Next time, though, I’ll probably put her up at the HRS as they seem to know what they are doing. Just hope she doesn’t get accidentally adopted out while I’m gone.

hmmm… had not thought of that for some reason.  thanks for mentioning this.  i’m going to ask my vet if they board rabbits or alternatively if they know of responsible rabbit-friendly sitters. 

jellyrose… any word yet?

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

It may be stress related, but I know some bunnies actually will eat as a reaction to stress! He could also be reacting to the overload of pellets. I really hope he will be feeling MUCH better soon. I always hate when my bunnies are away, it makes the house feel so empty and me lonely without them!

I would NOT hire that pet sitter again, since a 1/2 bowl is a huge difference than 1 TB! It makes me wonder what other things she did or didn’t do! I’ve gotten spoiled with bunny people watching my bunnies! Although, we’ve had some friends watch them too, I always feel better if they’re staying with someone who knows how to care for them and can see the signs if they’re not feeling well.

My best recommendation is to contact a local rabbit rescue, since many of them do bunny sitting as a fundraiser. I’d rather take my bunnies to stay at someone else’s house, since I figure they get more time and attention then someone just stopping into my house to watch them.

• jellyrose
                    Participant

Thank you guys for all the responses! I picked up the bunnies this afternoon… he was eating hay and had pooped!
                      Now back at home he’s perked up a little but they seem to be sorting out their status again…. Josephine has gotten a little pushy again, mounting and honking a bit. I think she’s trying to get hime to groom her. He’s doing a little but seems not to have so much energy. I’m going to try paying her lots of attention to see if that helps at all! Oh well, another night on the floor for me!

• BinkyBunny
                      8776 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry. I know this is hard. Good news that he is eating and pooping. Keep us updated What did the vet say about it?

Stress can cause gi stasis, but so can a diet change – like too many pellets. You’ve gotten great advice for future sitting/boarding

I am sending healing vibes his way!

• jellyrose
                        Participant

Our vet agrees that it could be the increased amount of pellet feed plus the stress of us being away (also my sister has been staying with us over the past week)could have caused the stasis. Interestingly she also said that she sees an increase in GI problems in the fall and spring… possibly due to bunnies shedding? Has anyone else noticed this? Also my 2 seem to shed all year! Not sure if the SO.CAL weather confuses them.
                          Any way Edward seems back to his normal self this morning. I was woken up by having a furry face shoved right in mine! He even found the energy to play with the cord on the hood of my sweater, his favorite past time!
                          I’ve just given him one dose of the metaclopramide tha the vet prescribed plus the colic drops. He’s drinking the papya and pineapple juiices without me having to syringe them too. Not sure about giving the metaclopramide the three times a day it’s prescribed for though… I don’t want to send him the other direction if he’s eating well and pooping normally now. When I’ve given it in people patents for ileus (stasis) it always gives them diarrhoea!

• jellyrose
                          Participant

P.S. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Quiet without them!