Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Quick NIC Condo Questions

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Binkles
      Participant
      823 posts Send Private Message

Okay, as I’m building Little-Bit’s NIC condo, a few quick questions:

-Hardboard and Plywood are safe for flooring in case she wants to chew them?

-How does one secure the wood to the NIC platforms? Drill holes in and use cable ties?

-How does one secure the carpet to said wood platform?

-What kind of carpet to use? Are big area rugs like the kind you can buy at Wal-Mart safe..?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

Carpet is fine, cut holes in it and zip tie to the floor as well.

I use and prefer choroplast as flooring. The base of my floors are cubes, for sturdiness; Then I have a layer of those foamy cubes that interlock, then choroplast. You can take it right out to clean it if necessary.

Not sure about hardwood/plywood though

• osprey
          Participant
          2065 posts Send Private Message

I had plywood floors in my condo for a while.  The bunnies showed no interest in chewing on them, but they eventually became a pee magnet and I had to remove them and replace with coroplast.  I just use cotton throw rugs and straw mats to cover the coroplast, and I use ceramic tiles upside down on the shelves for traction.

• skunklionshow
            Participant
            1257 posts Send Private Message

I have NIC floors that I cover w/ cardboard.  I then put rag rugs on top.  I like the rag rugs b/c I can pull them out and run em through the washer when they get stinky….however, Jess & Leo prefer the stink!

• Ana
              Participant
              182 posts Send Private Message

I read that carpets are great, as long as they’re tight woven… not sure how to explain it, but like the fibers are short and not all loose.

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

I cover the hardboard with peel & stick linoleum, my two take no interest in chewing on it so it is not a hazard for them. As with anything, you do not want them noshing down on it too much. I cut them such that they wedge into place and do not move and I can remove them easily for cleaning. If you want to secure the flooring, I would suggest something releaseable like binder clips on the edge that are on the outside of the cage. You can zip-tie them I suppose but it makes it a little harder to clean if you really have to scrub it down.

I use regular carpet tape on the wood platform and along the edge I bought “L” shaped aluminum edging that I found in the welding metal section at Depot. It was easy to cut with a hack saw & drill holes to affix around the edge, I used a metal file to smooth out any sharp edges. I think I recall someone saying that they used a piece of dowel around the edge, you can find it in a half-moon shape. Be careful with carpet, it needs to be soft and not too abrasive. Carpet that is too abrasive can cause sore hocks – say if the pile is too short, it is hard and will cause this too. Avoid berber and seisel. You also do not want anything too fuzzy, otherwise your rabbit will be tempted to pull it out and may ingest it, which I know you know is a bad thing.

• MooBunnay
                  Participant
                  3087 posts Send Private Message

For my floors, I found a clear plastic sheeting that they sell at Home Depot in the carpet area. It is sold on rolls and is about 36″ wide. I then get carpet squares or remnants from Big Lots, probably the same kind that they have at wal-mart. Then I cut both the plastic and carpet to fit the NIC square floor, and lay it out. Then, CAREFULLY (I have a scar from this so be CAREFUL if you do this!!!) I use a razor knife to poke a hole through both the carpet and plastic and zip tie the carpet and plastic to the NIC floor about every 6 inches around the outer edge. I do, have a big problem however with my bunnies chewing the carpet and clear plastic – so you might consider some of the other ideas given!

I do have some hardwood plywood in my condos, so far no one has shown any interest in eating them…then again…they haven’t yet run out of plastic and carpet to chew

• Battie
                    Participant
                    201 posts Send Private Message

I’m going to try to find time to rebuild my NIC condo today, now that I’ve found another set that doesn’t have those pesky extra-wide grids. I built the first using the plastic connectors, reinforced with ties, but I noticed from pictures that almost no one does this. I was able to easily attach NIC shelves instead of plywood ones, which I covered with towels. I noticed that almost no one does this either. Is there are reason for this? Are they dangerous? Quincy hasn’t had any problems.

I’m going try try not to use the connectors because the ones without look neater. Any advice on attaching the ties in a way that will minimize grid-slipping while I build?

I put a roof on my condo for stability, but I did not put in a floor. Instead, I bought a rubber office chair mat that is longer and wider than the cage and is very easy wipe off. I did this because when Quincy misses his box it tends to go both inside and outside the cage and having a uniform floor reduces seepage and makes things much easier to clean.

• Alicia Conklin
                      Participant
                      721 posts Send Private Message

Carpet: I cut to size so that it just slides in.  I’ve found the woven ones to be less enticing to tucker then the regular nap kind that you’d get with like wall to wall carpet..I have one of those that he used to dig at until I gave him more digging options and then I have a woven one that he never bothers at all.

Plywood/Hardwood:  I think it’d get ruined not only from chewing but also from pees and spills.  I covered mine with peel and stick linoleum.

To hold it to the grids: We got coaxial cable staples from home depot and nailed them into the tiles.

As for how to get it to stay in place while attaching the zip ties.  I mad all my walls down on the floor.  Then all I had to do was pick them up which they’d stand up and then attach them together.  If this isn’t possible because of the design I’d say do the top ones first.  Like on the grid…attach the top corner first, then the bottom corner and then go into the middle.  That way it has the best support from gravity while it’d being done.  Sometimes it won’t stay up perfect at first but that’s ok because if need be once they are all together you could then tighten the cables so that it’s all secure.  I think the easiest thing though is just to have all sections premade before the actual construction.  Any shelves, floors, roofs, etc…all premade to size so all you have to do is attach them

It’s so much fun though! Once you make one I’m sure you’ll be hooked! I’ve only had Tucker since May and he’s now on his third design

• kimberleyanddarren
                        Participant
                        2520 posts Send Private Message

I use reglar wooden floorboards which are untreated. I cut them so that they had like bits sticking out which can fit in between the nic cube holes and prevent them from moving, i then have carpet on some and laminate flooring leftovers on others!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Quick NIC Condo Questions