Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE questions on pellets (amount and type)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • koj
      Participant
      39 posts Send Private Message

Hello,

I have two questions about my 5-6 month female rabbit 🙂

1. I was feeding her around 8 tsp or 1/6 cup of young adult oxbow pellets a day and then switched to 10tsp so a little less than 1/4cup bc i felt as if i was feeding her too little. My question is is it still too little or should i reduce it or increase it? She eats timothy hay a lot as it’s her favorite type of hay, so i’m not sure if she needs more alfalfa in her diet. She weight around 3.8 lbs a month ago, so she is probably close to 4 lbs now.

2. My second question is is it time to transition her to adult pellets? I heard you have to once they reach 6 months; however, on the oxbow bag, it said I could keep feeding her pellets till she’s a year old. I’m asking because I bought a $16 bag of garden select young rabbit pellets (she doesn’t like garden select that much but still eats it) and I don’t want to waste it by buying a new bag of adult pellets. Do I have to switch it right now (with a transition) or is it possible to mix the two?

Thank you so much!

• LBJ10
        16907 posts Send Private Message

The question here is… is she still growing? If the answer is yes, then it’s OK to keep feeding the young bunny pellets for a little while longer. Very young bunnies are often free fed pellets so they have enough energy to grow. At her age though, you should be starting to cut back on the amount. I think 1/4 cup is fine for now. You will want to lessen the amount once you have her transitioned to adult pellets.

• kanin
          Participant
          139 posts Send Private Message

She’s soooo dang cute and floofy! Look at that mane! Love her laying on the shelf

• koj
              Participant

Thank you for the response!

• Bam
              16875 posts Send Private Message

I agree with LBJ, and kanin. She’s so cute my eyes hurt 😃🥰🥰🥰

• HipHopBunny
                Participant
                640 posts Send Private Message

Ditto all the above.

She is so floofy!! 😀 😍 We need more pictures!! 😉

• koj
                  Participant

Thank you for the kind compliments 😆 my bunny appreciates them all!!

• BZOO
                    Participant
                    330 posts Send Private Message

So cute!  Name?

You can do a slower transition in order to use up that big bag of food.

• koj
                        Participant

Her name is Bomi based on the Korean word for Spring since we got her during the spring 🙂 and thank you so much for the advice!!

• MooseMouse
                        Participant
                        49 posts Send Private Message

So my experience when it comes to kibble is,

So I gave 2 of my rabbits Young Oxbow Rabbit food up until they were 1 year old and just followed the instructions on the bag when they were 6 months for the amount.

When I got the 3rd bunny my other 2 were already 4 years old and on Oxbow Garden Select Adult Kibble at the time… I was a naughty Bunny Mom and just said “meh it’s kibble: and my 3rd received adult kibble since he was 3 months old…   As for health, there is no difference between all 3 of them but they are VERY good about eating their hay. The vet says they are little athletes when it comes to checkups.

Oh and if you feed the kibble in a treat ball it can also help them exercise at the same time.

Someone once told me mixing the kibble types is not a good idea because what if their supplements double up or have a reaction but I don’t know if that is true you would have to ask a vet

Viewing 7 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE questions on pellets (amount and type)