Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Questions about bonding before I get my new bun—stress bonding?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • The Rabbit
      Participant
      183 posts Send Private Message

https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aff/2/aft/109983/afv/topic/Default.aspx  here is my original topic. since it’s decided i’m getting another bun, i figured I betetr move this here.

I have a *ton* of questions, more as I go along.

So far it’s figured out that my bun is going to meet the girl buns, and choose his new mate.Then I will bring them home together, (a laundry basket was suggested. Would using my cats large carrier work? or would the scent be *too* stressful?) . They will probably stay together for a few minutes after that (The car ride will be well over an hour) and then the girl bun will go to her new set up (i’ll be making a sort of cage out of cubes) and my bun will go to his. in a couple of days (is that right?) we start the bonding process.

I already have a few I think would be perfect, and the woman from the rescue is going to check out who she thinks would work.She had me send pictures of my bun and info on his personality. he’s about 3 and a half pounds. I’m really looking for a bun that is 4–6 pounds if possible.

I’m super excited. I’m betting it will go even better since my boyfriend will be staying with us. The extra person tends to upset my bunny especially since my boyfriend stays in my room, which is Pixel’s territory. I’m hoping that will make him look to the new bun for comfort.

This will be happening in a couple of weeks, sometime after the 18th. The woman at the rescue will be out on business until then, and I have a few major family things happening then.  This gives me time to get supplies!

Stress bonding: I need some ideas and tips. Would setting them in a neutral territory and playing deathmetal be over kill? lol. I read about someone using a vaccum with them in a basket, that sounds doable. what is even stress and what is too much stress?

Forced Snuggling: i was jus reading someones bonding attempts. They mentioned forcing the buns to snugglein the bathtub. how does this work?

If Anyone (or anybun) has any tips or advice for me that’d be great. I’ve just printed out the bonding guide form the House rabbit network, and i’m about to sart reading!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

As far as stressing them, it may or may not be necessary. Don’t do it before you have to. Try them in neutral space (bathtub) first and see how they interact. Car rides, or putting them in a basket on the washer is a good stressor. Some folks have used the vacuum, but keep in mind that not all buns are scared of the vacuum. My Max is scared of everything, but he’ll hop right up to the running vacuum and chin it.

For bringing them home, I’d probably either use two separate carriers, or an open laundry basket. You don’t want to do car rides with them in an enclosed space. If they start to fight, there would be no way for you to separate them. Someone would have to sit in the backseat with them.

Keep an open mind with buns and size. Who knows who your bun will pick? Plus, larger buns tend to be a little more easygoing.

I did forced snuggling towards the middle/end in their litterbox. I put them both in side by side and petted both at the same time, vigorously on the forehead. This way they associated good things/grooming with being in close proximity with each other.

• Elrohwen
          Participant
          7318 posts Send Private Message

Congrats! I can’t wait to see who you and your bunny pick.

Stressing is anything where both buns are together and feeling a bit stressed out, so they snuggle with each other rather than fight. I used a laundry basket and bounced it on my knees for a minute as a stressor. I found it took their mind off of humping or whatever and calmed them back down. It also gave them a positive association with one another.

Forced snuggling is just pushing them together and petting them at the same time so they have a positive experience. I did this from day one – it was an easy way to end the session on a positive note before they were actually willing to sit next to one another. For buns that are fighting you may not be able to do this right away.

• Beka27
            Participant

^^^Yes. I couldn’t quite risk my hands or arms and do forced snuggling at the beginning. Elrohwen lucked out and had practically an “instabond”, but we are not all that fortunate… lol.

• The Rabbit
              Participant

Thanks. That was really helpful. I’d go for a larger bun, But the place i’ve chosen (I hope it works out!) seems to only have small and medium buns right now. They’ve got a lot of 3—6 pounds buns and I think one 7 pound bun. I’m really enjoying this process. Tomorrow i’m going to the pet store to get another water bottle. I figure I’ll get a large one and the new bun can have it. Then when the new bun and Pixel can share a cage i’ll just use that one. I’m also on the hunt for small cages.

• Beka27
                Participant

Why don’t you make a temporary cube cage so you can use the cubes later on for other bunny things? Petstore cages are so overpriced!

• The Rabbit
                  Participant

Thats what I was thinking, but I wasn’t sure how that would work. I guess it would give me a little more control. I have the cubes already. Some of those cages are so expensive!  My bunny senses something is up—he’s been extra cuddly lately.

• Elrohwen
                    Participant
                    7318 posts Send Private Message

You could just make a very simple pen out of the NIC cubes for your new bunny. You don’t need to make anything fancy.

• The Rabbit
                      Participant

I have another question. My Bunny is usually out of his cage all day, and often most of the night (if i’m awake). Does this have to change? It seems kind of sad to have the new bun locked away while my current bun is out binkying.

• Karla
                        Participant
                        1624 posts Send Private Message

It depends. If it is an instant bond, you don’t have to worry about this. Even if it is not an instant bond, but they are passive towards each other, you can let the other bunny out as well to have some free time, while you supervise.

Otherwise, let them have free time at different times. It doesn’t have to be terrible for your bunny to be caged while the new one is out. You could feed him meanwhile, so he won’t even notice he is being caged. Or you could let him in another room.

• Beka27
                          Participant

Bonding is a difficult time in that there is always reduced freedom for every bunny. But, you have to remember it’s just temporary.

• The Rabbit
                            Participant

Thanks.

I’m getting a little worried here. The woman with the rescue seems rather…forgetful. Like for instance she forgot that she told me she was going to be out of town from today to sometime next week. and That I can’t do it until the 16th or later. Then, last tuesday she said to call her on tuesday and tell her whether I was available for friday saturday or sunday. I responded asking which Tuesday she meant(as the day was Tuesday) and she asked if Friday sat or sunday was good(again) I responded that I couldn’t do it until after the 16th told her why(My brother is graduating college and moving back home), and I mentioned she said she’d be unavailable anyway. But no response. So i hope i’ll still be able to adopt from them, they seem like a great rescue anyway.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Questions about bonding before I get my new bun—stress bonding?