Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Question on Hay Bale

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • SophieBun
      Participant
      520 posts Send Private Message

Hey guys! I was just reading the cutting costs post so I went to Craiglist to check some stuff over there. I honestly do not know about hay bales at all I’ve only bought Timothy hay and Kaytee timothy hay which Sophie loves (and the babies too). But hay is rather costly at pet stores and I pay $20 for the biggest yesterdays news bag. Okay, so I found this ad on craiglist that sells hay. I’m gonna put it here and you guys can tell me if it’s good for bunnies and all? Please? Thank youuuuuuuuuu!

Link: http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/grd/1399576978.html

Ad: We also have HAY FOR SALE! Timothy / Alfalfa / Orchard Grass for $10 a bale! Will load for you, and deliver for a fee!

Is $10 cheap for a bale? I have no idea.

This is another one:

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/grd/1392721964.html

I have some good hay for sale in Miami, FL. Mixed grass: $7/bale. Timothy/Alfalfa: $12/bale. Alfalfa: $13/bale. Bales are compressed.

Another one:

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/grd/1390076740.html

QUALITY HORSE T&A PARTIALLY COMPRESSED 70 LB SQUARE BALES FROM CANADA $14 A BALE DELIVERY AVAILABLE FOR 5 BALES OR OVER ALSO T&ORCHARD 75 LB SQUARE BALES FROM IOWA SAME PRICE 1/2 TIMES LARGER THAN YOU GET AT THE FEED STORE

Another one:

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/grd/1387393738.html

Timothy Hay for Guinea Pigs, Rabbits, Chinchillas, and small pets.

I bought a bale of Timothy Hay yesterday for our guinea pigs and as it will take months for them to use it all would like to sell half of the bale. I would really like to link up with someone (or maybe several people) who would like to split bales in the future.

• Lara
        Participant
        311 posts Send Private Message

I just bought a ale of timothy hay, and it is gigantic! I think that it’s going to take Calypso and Echo FOREVER to eat it. I haven’t put it in its permanent location yet. It’s just sitting on the floor and the bunnies think it’s just a giant buffet. lol. Anyway, I paid 4.50$ for mine, but that is of course in Canadian dollars, and I think that my bale weighs around 40-50 lbs. So… I guess none of my information is helpful to you. lol. Although, I know how much those bags of hay are in the pet stores, and a bale would definitely be cheaper, even for 12$/bale. Not to mention that (I’ve found) the bales have longer pieces of hay, which the buns like. The hay makes less mess and less is wasted. I’d say go for a bale if you can get it. I’m sure there are others on here who can let ou know what it reasonable to pay in Florida.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

They can be good deals IF your rabbit will eat it. Quality really can vary from farmer or distributor. I’ve never found any in my area that I was pleased with. If they can give you a sample to see if Sophie will eat it that will be good.

Storage can be a problem as well so that is something to consider.

• Colie
            Participant
            63 posts Send Private Message

As far as the YN being so expensive, try wood stove pellets, they are $5 for a 40-50lb bag. That may be more cost effective for you as well!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

Bales are about 2-3$ each-but that’s generally when you are buying hundreds. i think it’s totally reasonable to charge 10$ for the trouble of selling one bale to one person. Like Sarita said, quality can vary, so ask them what kind of hay, what cutting how it looks etc

• KatnipCrzy
                Participant
                2981 posts Send Private Message

One of the last bales I bought I did not like so I gave it to someone that has horses.  I went to another location- feed store and bought a bale and it is better- not as thin, long bladed and messy.  So I paid $3 for the first bale that I gave away and then $4 for the second bale that I kept- but all in all not a bad price even though I gave one bale away.

And the bale I did not like came from the same farmer that I had bought the 2 previous bales from (same crop obviously) that was beautifully green and the bunnies loved.  But I know field location, planting and weather plays a huge role in hay.

The market price seems to be $3.50- $4.50 a bale around here- and I would gladly pay $10 for a great bale of hay for the bunnies- it lasts months and months.

• RachelB
                  Participant
                  237 posts Send Private Message

My local farmers market let me take a sample from a bale (just a few handfuls) for free prior to purchasing a whole one. Then when I went back the next week to purchase one they gave me a box (1X2′) of hay “scraps” that fell out of their new delivery. That lasted for about 2 wks and then I went back and bought a big bale. I’ve had that bale now for 4-5 months and just got through half of it. You might ask if you could try some hay before purchasing a big bale.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Question on Hay Bale