Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Question from a concerned parent

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • feegore
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

So, I “rescued” William last night from my ex-girlfriend who had kept him after we broke up. Planning to eventually bond him with my baby minilop Odin.

So the question is, that I’m concerned about William’s health. It seems that he lost all litter training under her care and his poop is weird. Not the normal dry pellets. I was wondering if they were ceccotrophs, because a few look “grape like”, but the rest are just soft. Is it a reaction to the new food (ie. pellets), since I didn’t have and fresh veggies in the apt b/c odin is still too young for them. Or is this something I should be concerned with, and needs a vet visit? He also doesn’t seem too keen on eating hay. Is there drops I can add to his food/water, that would help regulate him? I’m just a concerned parent.

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

I think a vet visit is in order. At a minimum he may be stressed by the recent changes, but it’s probably wise to look for a physical cause first. Any change in diet can cause some problems initially – I’d want to be sure. And if it’s anything serious or contagious, you’ll be glad you did.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like she didn’t feed him the proper rabbit diet. Also if he’s not a big hay eater that could be part of the problem as well.

I do agree with rabbitpam though that it is a good idea to take him to a vet before you start bonding to ensure he has a clean bill of health.

Also is he neutered?

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

after the vet visit, i would start his diet over, and introduce the veggies slowly, one by one. keep us posted on how it goes.

• Sage Cat
              Participant
              1883 posts Send Private Message

Poor little guy.

Sounds like he needs some help getting his health back on track. Good thing you got him back.

• Floppy
                Participant
                490 posts Send Private Message

hmm vet visit would help but if the bun is stressed out by sudden changes
                  that may also be a reason. A healthier diet is always good! As far as hay sometimes
                  you just got to try different brands or maybe even cuts. M Floppy will only eat
                  2nd cut cause he doesn’t like 1st cut…he likes the softer stuff.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi feegore, your poor little guy sounds like he is suffering from a combination of bad/poor diet and stress. Are you able to contact your ex-girlfriend to find out exactly how and what he was eating? That will really help diagnose/eliminate what is wrong. Does he have diarrhea at all? How old is William by the way? Is he drinking water?

I do not know of any drops to add to food or water to stimulate his appetite. You can try a fragrant herb like mint, it may help. Break it up so the smell entices him.

I do also agree with the vet visit, but only after you have found out what exactly was going on at the other place (give yourself a day or so to find out) because any vet is going to ask what you’ve been feeding him and if you don’t know, I am not sure a vet will be able to really diagnose what is going on unless there really is a parasite or overgrowth of some sort going on in the GI tract. You could potentially end up spending a lot of money on tests trying to diagnose things, so dig around, if you can’t find out then go straight to the vet and explain what is going on.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Question from a concerned parent