Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING question about getting bunny number 2

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • hina
      Participant
      19 posts Send Private Message

hi i have a male bunny almost old enough to be nutered. little grey.  i got him from my parents and he has two brothers and a sister still there the people who were going to take them diddnt fallow thrugh.  i want to adopt one of his brothers.  i plan on getting both of them nutered but little grey has been alone and the other one has been in a group. and his brother is almost twice his size. little grey is the runt.  i was wondering about good ways to reintroduse them and i dont want my little grey to be bullied.  dose anyone have any advice?

• jerseygirl
        22345 posts Send Private Message

As he is almost old enough to be neutered, ideally wait until both he and his brother are done. It’s best to then wait a month until any hormones in their systems have depleted then start introductions in a neutral area. i.e a space neither rabbit has spent time in.

With the group, ensure now that the males and female are separated if they’re becoming sexually mature. Your parents might be on top of this but a reminder won’t hurt. ;o)

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

Normal logic seems to go out the window when rabbits are involved… lol.

A few things to clarify:
            1) It does not matter that they are siblings. When they are reintroduced, they will regard each other as strangers. So if unneutered, they most likely will fight.
            2) It does not matter if one is currently in a group and one is not. Every rabbit relationship is unique. Some pairings work, some do not. Just because brother is with a group does not mean he will be easier to bond. And just because your bunny is single does not mean he will be more difficult to bond.
            3) Size certainly does not matter. There are some very gentle giants and some downright nasty dwarfs. Just because your bunny is smaller, does not mean he is in danger simply because of his size, and this also does not mean that the larger bunny will be more dominant.

If the brother is already in a group, why are you looking to split them up? Is the sister separated from the remaining boys? If so, and she’s by herself, I might consider taking her and introducing them after they are both altered. Male-female bonds tend to be easier, but it is (of course!) imperative that all buns are spay/neutered.

• hina
            Participant

thanks for the advice im going to wait till he is nueterd and safe then deside then. my parents are strugling to find them homes. they would probly keep them but right now they are living in the stall in the barn that the goats go to have there babies. the bunnys parents have their own outdoor unit. i prity sure the girl is seprit. probly in with mother bunny.

• hina
              Participant

i found him a girlfriend she is a lovely caramel color. 6 months old. she will be seperate untill little grey is safe.

• jerseygirl

Very sweet. : ) I just love the name Little Grey too by the way.
                  When you have them both at home but separate, be sure the is space between their cages. Rabbits can even breed through cages!   It also will prevent any nose nipping.

Once the time period after his neuter has passed hopefully you’ll have a smooth introduction between them. Here is this site of basics of bonding: https://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/BondingInfo/tabid/63/Default.aspx

Also another article on bonding that is really good in my opinion.:http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

Hope that helps.

• hina
                  Participant

haha the book i have on bunnys told me to rub onion or garlic on both of them. never herd that one before.
                    wouldnt that hurt there eyes anyways.

• Deleted User
                    Participant
                    22064 posts Send Private Message

I believe rabbits can smell right through the onion and garlic but it may serve as an olefactory distraction… I would not use any plant from the garlic/onion family though because they will groom it off, and these are powerful plant juices that are not safe for rabbits to ingest. Maybe rub carrot juice over them instead. It won’t be as potent but it will be pleasant to them~

• jerseygirl

I’ve heard of it before but honestly, who wants a garlic-onion smelling bunny?
                        Though I am interested to know what book this was in?

• Deleted User
                        Participant
                        22064 posts Send Private Message

To me, an intact male kinda smells like onion-garlic… you know, the scented droppings

• jerseygirl

I know exactly thanks to Jersey (spayed female not intact male!!)

• hina
                            Participant

the book is rabbits, a complete pat owner’s manual. bought at pets unlimited. i have a new problem on my hands. carrie my new bunny is actuly 7 months and was living with her brother untill 2 weeks ago so will see what happens if she has babbies.

• LoveChaCha
                              Participant
                              6634 posts Send Private Message

when was that book written? the year?

i read rabbits for dummies. good book on information.

• mocha200
                                Participant
                                4486 posts Send Private Message

Britt: Thats one of my favorite books to.

• jerseygirl

Posted By hina on 12/03/2010 11:06 AM
                                    the book is rabbits, a complete pat owner’s manual. bought at pets unlimited. i have a new problem on my hands. carrie my new bunny is actuly 7 months and was living with her brother untill 2 weeks ago so will see what happens if she has babbies.

Oh yikes! I suppose if she was going to have them she would have during the time she was there. But if she was impregnated right before she left, you’ll know within the next 2 weeks.  Are you prepared if that’s the case?

Do you plan eventually to get Carrie spayed?  They can actually do emergency spays but I’m not certain if it would be too late for that.  Some don’t like this option.  I’m not even sure I would be comfortable with it but just letting you know it is an option with an experienced vet.

• Beka27
                                    Participant
                                    16016 posts Send Private Message

I would also encourage seeking a vet’s opinion on an emergency spay.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING question about getting bunny number 2