Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Puzzling Booplesnoot

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Luna
      Participant
      2219 posts Send Private Message

If anyone has any ideas as to the cause of Luna’s wet nose, please leave a comment. 

Background (short version): From Oct-Nov Luna had clear discharge under only her left nasal passage. Dr. thought respiratory infection and prescribed SMZ/TMP and afterwards Baytril (discharge disappeared and reappeared), then thought resistant infection and prescribed Baytril plus eyedrops. Discharge disappeared but 2 weeks later it reappeared in a lesser quantity, and has been intermittently disappearing/reappearing daily ever since the beginning of December (ie. Mon nose would have discharge, Tues/Wed/Thurs nose would be fine, Fri/Sat nose would have discharge, Sun nose would be fine). At first I agreed with the Dr. that it was a resistant infection, but now I’m thinking it has to be environmental because of the disappearing/reappearing act? Throughout everything, Luna’s eating, behavior, and litter habits have been normal.

Here is my list of possible causes:
        – dental: no-ruled out by vet exam.
        – eye: maybe-Dr. didn’t see anything but the rx eyedrops did seem to help the best
        – veggies: no-ruled out by individual weekly rotation.
        – hay: maybe-quality of timothy has not been great lately but I switched to less dusty orchard and I always clear any excess hay dust out of the feeder every day.
        – airborne contaminants: no-been keeping bun areas clean and super dust free for months.
        – chemicals: no-I use Dawn soap to wash cage every couple weeks, and use distilled white vinegar for daily cage cleaning

Thoughts? 

• LBJ10
        16870 posts Send Private Message

It could be dental-related. Wooly has chronic sinus problems. And ear problems and eye problems.

• kaylyne28
          Participant
          55 posts Send Private Message

My girl Ellie has Pasteurella and her symptoms would seemingly get better with baytril and then she’d worsen. Due to this my vet has me doing penicillin SubQ injections as the baytril should be helping but it didn’t… I’d look into getting a culture and sensitivity test done on the discharge to rule out a bacterial infection.

That’s just one of many options but I’d want to rule that out for certain.

• Luna
            Participant

That’s always been a lingering thought in my mind . I know that buns hide their illness well, but assuming Luna has had pasteurella for the past 3.5 months wouldn’t she seem sicker or be more symptomatic?

• LBJ10
              16870 posts Send Private Message

If it goes away and comes back, despite using different antibiotics, then I would explore things more thoroughly. You can get a culture done, but it may or may not give you answers. It can’t hurt though. I’d also suggest getting a head x-ray to see if there is any evidence of tooth roots growing into the sinuses. This is what Wooly’s problem is. His sinuses are constantly irritated. He sneezes/has a runny nose and eventually bacteria takes advantage. He gets antibiotics and it clears up some. Then the cycle begins again.

• Luna
                Participant

I was considering either a C&S test or an x-ray, but I didn’t know which one to do first. I think I’ll have an x-ray done after I consult with her vet.

• Luna
                  Participant

Update: So Luna is going to the vet tomorrow, but I noticed the past couple days that her “runny nose” (I’m beginning to think it’s not) only happens after she drinks out of the water bowl or when she’s breathing fast (ie. after running around or trimming her nails). Does anyone else notice a little wetness under their bun’s nose after either of these things? Is it normal? 

• ergodic
                    Participant
                    123 posts Send Private Message

I would recommend just doing both the x-ray and the C&S at the same time. Simply because my vet generally likes to get a deep culture and so she sedates the rabbit and while they are sedated they can get the x-rays.

George is my trouble rabbit, a couple weeks ago he sneezed up a big blob of white snot even though he is being nebulized with Cipro. The Culture grew no bacteria. We will retest him in February just to be sure. He however gets runny noses even on antibiotics.

If he is stressed he will get a runny nose because the adrenaline.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Puzzling Booplesnoot