Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Purple lights in room effect on mood?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • kieran
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

I have had purple string lights on my ceiling (bun free roams the living room) for a few months, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the effect of colored lights on bunnies.

they make the whole room purple, but I can still easily see everything

as soon as I turn on the purple lights, my bunny is thrilled. she will run around, binky, be much more comfortable around people, more likely to let strangers get close, everything positive. (she still is happy in normal lighting but purple lights basically flip a happy switch on)

the only relevant info I can find online says bunnies get stressed by cool colors (lights are a cool purple), but she isn’t showing a single sign of stress, and her joy is obvious to even people who don’t know a lot about rabbits.

I also had orange lights up, those together are good but orange alone doesn’t do anything. purple and pink lights she also likes.

does anyone know anything about this effect? I wouldn’t take them down since she clearly likes them ( unless its bad long term somehow?) but knowing what makes her like them might help me improve it 🙂

• Bam
        16936 posts Send Private Message

Violet light has a short wavelenght, meaning its very intense (“high energy”). It has an even shorter wavelenght than blue light, and we all know that blue light from f ex phones and tablets can affect our ability to sleep at night, and most newer devices come with an optional blue light filter.

Rabbits respond rather profoundly to even moderate increases in amount of light. Melatonin (sleep hormone) secretion shuts off, serotonin (“happy” hormone) levels rise in the brain, the production of sex hormones is stimulated. The shutting off of melatonin and rise in serotonin occur instantly. This is what causes rabbits to get “March hare syndrome” in early spring, when the light returns after winter. Humans obv react to light too, but rabbits are “simpler” animals in that their behaviours are to a huge extent directly influenced by hormones.

But this could perhaps have other explanations. Maybe you do sth that the buns like when you turn on the purple lights? (Although since you describe it as flipping a happy switch, it’s reasonable to think that it’s sth to do with the light itself).

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Purple lights in room effect on mood?