Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Protective cord covers, what should I get?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
    • LilynJestersMama
      Participant
      258 posts Send Private Message

I need to get a few bun-proof electrical cord covers and I’ve done some searching online.

For pets, I keep coming across these:

Marshall Cord Protector

• 10′ length, pre-slit, flexible household cord protector
        • Safe, non-toxic citrus “infused” clear tubing
        • Scent deters pets from chewing through electrical cords
        • Safely deters dogs, cats and small animals

Some of the reviews include complaints about the citrus scent.

Also, I can’t seem to find exactly how thick this particular Marshall cord cover is.

Perhaps I don’t need the ones that they market for animals.  I just don’t know how thick they need to be to keep Lily from chomping through!

Does anyone have experience with these covers- what works/what doesn’t?

Thank you! 

• Hedi
        Participant
        969 posts Send Private Message

We got ours from Home Depot. They come in a few different sizes and are thick black plastic. My buns wont even touch the cords now. I paid something like $2.99 for 7ft of cord covers.

No need to get ones specific to animals. Any hardware store will carry cord covers and as long as they are thick plastic that completely covers the cord you should be good!

Hope this helps!

• KatnipCrzy
          Participant
          2981 posts Send Private Message

I used split flex tubing that I got from our local Home Improvement store- Menards- it was located in the computer cable area.  I bought the thinner stuff and it discourages any nibbles.  But if the bunnies has access to it all the time I would get something thicker.  You could always look at water tubing that is sold by the foot at the home improvement stores- you would have to put a slit along the whole side to get the cord pushed into it- but it would be similar to the commercial product and would probably be cheaper doing a little DIY by splitting it yourself.

Also on quite a few cords I used a small cable tie to snug down the end to keep it in place better.

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored.html

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

I got quite a length of wide cord cover from WalMart. You can fit more than one cord in it side by side if you need to, as in computer wires. I’m pretty sure they sod different widths, cheap. I doubt the scented kind will be good for either of you in the long run. You can get the same effect with a few voice commands and maybe a touch of vinegar on the cord protector.

I’ve also “fenced in” my computer space. I have NIC cubes running in front, and it completely blocks off the space from wall plug to computer so I didn’t need to do each one.

• ScooterandAnnette
              Participant
              1090 posts Send Private Message

We use sump pump hosing. It’s cheap, something like $5 for 25 feet or so, can be cut to any length needed, most cords fit through it easily and for some reason our bunnies don’t seem to have any interest in trying to chew it.
                – Annette

• LilynJestersMama
                Participant

Thanks for the great info, guys! It’s great to hear about the products that you’ve had good luck with. I am definitely going to avoid those smelly and expensive covers they market for pets!!! A good excuse to do some shopping around this weekend! Too bad they don’t sell this stuff at the mall…..hehe

• skibunny8503
                  Participant
                  1338 posts Send Private Message

Is what you described from Petsmart?  I got a cord protector from Petsmart that was infused with citris; can’t remember if it was that same company or not but it really worked.  Archie hasn’t even touched them.  I really can’t smell anything unless I’m really close to it. 

• LilynJestersMama
                    Participant

Petsmart and a lot of sites online sell it. It is made by Marshall and it is infused with a citrus scent. It seems super pricey……I will try the cheaper suggestions first

• princessangrypeppers
                      Participant
                      61 posts Send Private Message

I got spiral cable wrap from RadioShack. It doesn’t really work, so don’t get it. My rabbit can easily chew through it.

• BinkyBunny
                        8776 posts Send Private Message

i use the the split flex tubing that katnipcrzy posted about. i got them at my local hardware store, but i also found some at Ikea, but the ikea brand seemed to be thinner.

So far so good, though i know some determined bunnies can try to chew through those.

I haven’t tried the citrus scented ones. i noticed that it was noted in the original post that there were complaints. What were the complaints about exactly – the scent too strong or ?

• Balefulregards
                          Participant
                          715 posts Send Private Message

I use the thinner black flex tubing on my “regular” cords. It works fine. She only nibbles on that when she is mad at me ( and yes, it is a definitive
                            “You have angered me and now I will chew your cords”)

For the cord she REALLY wanted ( the digital TV wall cord) I had to do two layers – The black flex tubing and then covered with a clear, thick flexible tubing I got in the plumbing section of our Reno Depot. Because this cord sits next to a heating element, I wanted to make sure that the tubing was heat resistant/tolerant. I had to cut it lengthwise myself but it wasn’t a big deal.

It did the trick and she hasn’t been back to chew the TV cord.

• LilynJestersMama
                            Participant

Thanks for the great advice guys…….Lily chomped through my computer mouse cord in a split second a few weeks ago! Every other cord in the room was blocked off. I was just sitting up on the couch, cord hanging down (I didn’t even realize) and then hmmmm, for some reason the mouse has quit working. I check the cord and sure enough, Lily got it! I’m so glad she didn’t get hurt at all. Now I have a wireless mouse AND I am going to every cord around here!

• ScooterandAnnette
                              Participant
                              1090 posts Send Private Message

Bailey did that the first day we had him home. Oh he’s so sweet and so cute and so little, he’d never chew through any cords look at him he’s such a good boy hey why doesn’t my mouse work?
                                – Annette

• LilynJestersMama
                                Participant

That’s when I realized just how powerful their little chompers are! It happened in a split second and she hopped off. Now if they could sell cordless everything for the house, we’d all be set! hehe Nah…..I will just make sure their rooms are completely bun safe!

• Balefulregards
                                  Participant
                                  715 posts Send Private Message

Yes- Coco has claimed 2 ipod chargers, my digital camera transfer cable, my daughters computer cord, a skirt, a couple of my shirts ( which now have rabbity tooth marks) a couple of pillowcases and sheets, a section of my quilt and of course, a good portion of the now covered digital tv cable is gone.

I am MUCH more careful now..

• LilynJestersMama
                                    Participant

Oh my goodness, Baleful! You have a destsructo-bunny! hehe My Lily isn’t much of a chewer but the male bunny that we adopted yesterday is going to town on his willow ball. I think he’s going to be more of a chewer!

• LilynJestersMama
                                      Participant

Ok, I just realized that I am the one who started this post about chewing and protective covers- Lily doesn’t chew on all the toys I give her to chew on….she prefers more high-tech stuff! The cord covers should eliminate that from happening again! (crosses fingers) I think the new guy is actually going to use the toys I give him.

• LilynJestersMama
                                        Participant

We got some heavy duty clear vinyl tubing at the hardware store. It was $5 for 20 ft. We will have to split it ourselves but it was a lot heavier duty than the flexible black electrical cord protectors they sold and it was much cheaper! I hope it does the trick!

• jerseygirl
                                          22338 posts Send Private Message

I was going to suggest that but couldn’t remember what it was called! It’s good being clear – the cords just look like regular cords. It’s easily enough to cut and can be a bit soft but it’s been a deterrent for my rabbit at least. The mouse cord was first thing to go at my place too.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                            Participant
                                            12067 posts Send Private Message

I got two types and one did not work-one was a clear wrapping cord, that’s sort of thin. First it was a pain to wrap around the cord and secondly it’s sort of rubbery so they chewed that right off and severed the laptop cord-in two spots!! (Wasn’t plugged in of course)

I’d recommend the hard plastic tube stuff that has the slit right through it. They don’t touch the cords now

• hooty22
                                              Participant
                                              606 posts Send Private Message

I’ve found great success with black flexible water tubes from Lowe’s. I just took a pair of scissors and slit down the side. It comes in a variety of sizes, so you can get a bit bigger and fit a few wires in there if you want. It’s thick enough that it can’t be chewed through, and the biggest bonus…. It was 13 cents a foot….

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                Participant
                                                12067 posts Send Private Message

13c/foot!?!? That’s a great price!! *off to Lowes*

• LilynJestersMama
                                                  Participant

That is a great price!

My hubby’s going to have to help me slit the tubing.  I am very clumsy and would end up cutting off a finger if I tried this on my own! lol

We’ll see how well the clear goes, I’d prefer clear over black (I think).

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Protective cord covers, what should I get?