Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Pros and cons of a bunny room?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • DanaNM
      8935 posts Send Private Message

I’m finally in a place where we could possibly convert a room into a bunny room. It’s a large “pantry” that is connected to the kitchen and would kind of be the perfect size for them. It’s really large enough to be a small guest room, but I’m concerned that I wouldn’t be interacting with them as much?

I currently have my office set up in the kitchen where Coop and Bonnie are, so when they are free-roaming I’m hanging out with them. If they were in the pantry, I would just open the door when they were allowed to be free-roaming. But during times when they are penned there would be a lot less activity around them. I would likely put a couch or something in with them so I could go hang out with them easily as well. I also contemplated moving my office into that room, but I might not feel comfortable having them have 24/7 access to my desk etc.

Those of you with bunny rooms, do you feel that it’s isolating for your bunnies?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

I never felt like the boys were isolated. However, they could see into the living room from their room. They would often wait at the gate so they could be let out to roam. But sometimes, even if the gate was open, then just didn’t feel like coming out of their room. It was funny because hours would go by and then you would all of the sudden see a bunny darting across the floor. Even if the gate was up though, we could talk to them or pet them if we happened to be going by.

• DanaNM

Hmmm, yeah this room is a bit less central. The house is kind of one long row of rooms (a result of add-ons over the long history of the house), and the room we would use is all the way at one end. If it was connected to the living room I’d prob feel better about it, but then again my desk is right next to the door to the room, so I’d still be right there near them when working.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

Another upside to a bunny room is that I found it was easier to clean. You’re not reaching into a condo, for example. Everything was movable too, so I could easily vacuum and put things back. They would, of course, rearrange to their liking afterward because I was incapable of putting things back just right.

• DanaNM

I’m definitely dreaming of an easier cleaning set-up! And having all their “stuff” in one spot!  I think if I kept the door open during the day when we are around it will be a good set-up for them, because they would still be allowed access to the same rooms they are now. I would def need to put some litter boxes around the house, but hopefully they would adjust to it.

Not planning to do this soon, but my thinking is that when Bun Jovi eventually passes away (which is hopefully not soon but realistically could be any day) I will try to bond Myra with Coop and Bonnie, and then could have all three in their own room. Coop and Myra already flirt with each other through the hallway gates so I’m hopeful it will work out.

• GlennTheLionhead
                Participant
                361 posts Send Private Message

Sorry for being a little late to this post!

Overall I love having a bun room and they love it too! Pros are knowing they are happy and chill in a larger space, I found that once I was able to give them a room they became very content in their space and don’t feel the need to excercise around the house so much… So its great for peace of mind that you have content bunnies!

Cons are that I see them a bit less, despite them having open access to most of the house they just aren’t fussed about being anywhere other than their room lol… So i do have to make more effort to actively spend time with them… That said they do explore daily and come to say hi, they also spend a bit of time in the lounge most days. Glenn especially likes to seek me out, most days he’ll travel up 2 flights of stairs just to hang out with me in the home office and often will spend a couple hours a day relaxing with me there! So i guess it depends a little on their personality too and if they are already inclined to spend time with you I’d imagine they would continue to do so!

One thing that helped  in an old house was setting up a bed and bowl of hay in the lounge (or in your case the kitchen or the additional place you’d like them to hang out) Glenn would spend a great deal of time in his lounge spot with – worth noting he was a single bun at that time and doesn’t do that as much now he has Nellie.

Overall I think the pros outweigh the cons and you will likely have content buns.

• DanaNM

Thanks! That’s great insight. 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Pros and cons of a bunny room?