Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Probiotic for bunnies

• This topic has 4sd replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Bam.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Fluffbusters
      Participant
      24 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone I I have a quick question about probiotics for bunnies. As you know my vet has recently prescribed Oreo a feline probiotic supplements and I have done some research and it is flavoured with liver. I am a little apprehensive about giving this to her and don’t know if anybody else has any other suggestions the only thing that’s really available for me right now that I can purchase at a pet store is a Marshalls probiotic used for ferrets and other small animals. Has anybody ever used this for their rabbit to help their digestive system while they are taking antibiotics for a respiratory infection? Or are there vegetables out there that could be a probiotic that I can give to Oreo instead of medication. I know this may sound weird I’m just really apprehensive about what I give my rabbit

• lindseyh2
        Participant
        13 posts Send Private Message

I recently had to take my rabbit Ollie to our vet for a ringworm infection, and they gave us a probiotic powder we could sprinkle on food/his veggies if we chose to. It’s specific for small animals. My first instinct is to shy away from the liver-flavor supplement, but I’m sure other BB members will chime in as well.

• Dface
          Participant
          1084 posts Send Private Message

As far as I know there are only two types of probiotics that have been shown useful for rabbits. The best tested one is brewer’s yeast (saccaromyces cerevisiae), the other one is enterococcus faecium.

E. faecium is the most prevalent gut bacteria of healthy rabbits.

So if you are looking at probiotics for a bunny, they should contain one of these. There are plenty available to purchase online, although convincing your rabbit too eat them can be tricky at times, I found I had to shop around a bit before they’d eat what I offered. A lot of predator based probiotics won’t contain these and therefore aren’t all that useful to a rabbits system.

• jerseygirl
            22345 posts Send Private Message

Ive used one that’s just a powder I sprinkled over the salad greens. Protexin is one Ive seen offered for rabbits.  Benebac is like a gel and normally palatable for rabbits.

It not known if most of the probiotics even survive the acidity of the rabbits stomach, let along make their way to the cecum. But they possibly do help in bringing the stomach to the right acidity level.  The best “probiotic” you could give her is the cecal droppings from your other rabbit! Does he ever leave any extras around?

• Bam
              16892 posts Send Private Message

I use Protexin probiotic pellets (with saccaromyces cerevisiae) and Synbiotic D-C (with enterococcus faecium) for my bun.  The Fortiflora for cats and dogs contain enterococcus faecium, which is great, but they also contain meat and meat by -products. My bunny Bam did get a dog probiotic from the vet back in the day, when there were no special rabbit probiotics available. It was liver-flavored but he didnt seem to mind. There wasn’t a lot of liver in it, it was mostly cereal. It wasnt Fortiflora though, I have no experience with that particular brand.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Probiotic for bunnies