Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A prescription order online? where to find baytril & metacam?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • poopy
      Participant
      684 posts Send Private Message

Where do you guys order Metacam and Baytril online? I can’t find Baytril at all and the Metacam I am finding is for dogs (is this the right one?). The vet is marking up these meds for me bigtime and I’d like to order in bulk online. Any help appreciated

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Metacam for dogs is the same – it’s not marketed for rabbits. Try enroflaxin for baytril…are you looking for injectible or what kind of formulation?

• KatnipCrzy
          Participant
          2981 posts Send Private Message

Sarita is right- the liquid Metacam for dogs (and cats) is the same that is used for bunnies.  The Baytril that rabbits take- either the uncoated purple pills (also for dogs and cats) or they get liquid that is specially flavored for bunnies (basically the medication is “compounded”- which means made specifically for that pet).

You will need a prescription to buy these meds online- and so unless your bunny is very ill and needs Baytril and Metacam long term- your vet is unlikely to write a prescription so that you may buy them in bulk.  Most medication have a shelf life of only a couple of years max.  And compounded medications are often only about 6 month shelf life or so.

You can ask your vet for a prescription that the pet needs- a.k.a for 1-2 weeks, whatever the vet was going to send you home with.  The only disadvantage to that is that your bunny will not be able to start meds until meds are shipped to you.  And considering the repuatation and reliability of on-line pharmacies my vet clinic will print a prescription for a client- but we will not fax or call it it- basically once we write it, it is your responsibility and liability to have filled from unknown, uncontrolled source.  And unfortunately that can slow do the order process, but for liability reasons our clinic has to do that.  (Some online pharmacies have been convicted of selling without prescription, selling meds labeled for other countries (not USDA approved then), selling incorrect amount, selling expired, etc).  So be sure to order from a place that you trust.

• Sarita
            Participant

One thing about Metacam too is that it absolutely should not be used past the expiration date – some meds can be (I never would though) but Metacam definitely cannot.

Interesting info too Katnip about on-line pharmacies! Good points too.

I do know if you get your baytril (enroflaxin) compounded which is the best way to administer this (other than injections) has to be refrigerated and has a very short shelf life.

• poopy
              Participant

My rabbit currently has those prescriptions and I have enough for a few weeks from the vet, but she will need to be on these indefinitely so I want to mail order. I can’t find a place that has the liquid baytril for rabbits. Any online pharmacies you recommend?

• Sarita
                Participant

Is the liquid baytril compounded for you (with a flavor?) You probably won’t find this on-line. You might see if there is a compounding pharmacy near you and find out the price from them if you get a prescription…might be cheaper.

• KatnipCrzy
                  Participant
                  2981 posts Send Private Message

If I had to order online I would consider Drs Foster and Smith maybe- they seem to be a huge company so I could see they would have a valid reason for low prices (ordering in large quantites with large customer base).  I order other pet supplies from them, just have never ordered meds.  They do compound medications.

I think the only way you are going to get the Metacam is from a veterinary pharmacy- liquid version of the med is only made for pets from my understanding.  Baytril I believe is a vet only drug- not made in any form for humans.  So a veterinary compounding pharmacy is what you need- you can search to see if you can find one on-line.

I believe that compounded flavored Baytril liquid for rabbits is made by mixing injectable Baytril with flavoring to make it more palatable to give orally- otherwise it tastes yucky and I think bitter and smells like “alcohol”.  There was another member here that got a refill of Baytril and it had not been mixed with flavor (by mistake) and it sounded like injectable.  You obviously have to give more meds to the bunny if they are flavored as the flavoring liquid takes up volume- but that is still probably easier than giving something that was not formulated to give orally.

Giving injectable meds orally is not uncommon especially when you are trying to dose a small animal that tablets are way too strong.  I know Ivomec (Ivermectin) is another injectable that is given orally (we use this in dogs fairly often for mites).

• poopy
                    Participant

I believe so…its the pink liquid, 10% baytril mixed with some other stuff I can’t remember as I do not have the bottle in front of me.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A prescription order online? where to find baytril & metacam?