Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Preliminary Bonding of My Trio

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sarita
      Participant
      18851 posts Send Private Message

I decided since I had the 2 girls in my possession right now that I would see how they did together until I get the male who will be coming soon.

I really only had 2 days though since Tuesday I’m boarding a pair and the pen will be used for that from Tuesday until Sunday.

My two girls are Dora (a 5 month old Californian spayed female already about 5 pounds) and Mocha (spayed female about 14 months old who recently lost her mother whom she was bonded to).

Mocha is not happy about this at all – she kept jumping out of the pen today.  I know she thinks I’m torturing her and I feel bad but I know it’s for the best.  The pen is a short portable one so for this it works fine but I have a taller one I will eventually use when the time is right and they can cohabitate together nicely.

Initially yesterday and today there was the chasing and Dora kept getting the best of Mocha and pulling her hair and nipping her butt – I know she wants to be top rabbit and I kind of figured that would be the case.  Mocha was very stoic yesterday and today about Dora and doesn’t trust her at all – I suppose I would feel the same way if I was being chased and someone was nipping my butt. Pretty much the same situation initially today too.

I got in the pen initially both days and refereed or got in when I was needed to soothe bruised egos or break up fights (which really weren’t bad – Mocha just keeps running and that excited Dora).

Dora eventually relaxed both days (she did pee in all corners today but I think she just drinks alot of water and pee’s alot – I can tell by her litter box when I change it, it’s very heavy from lots of pee).  I had a litter box in today but it wasn’t working out so I had to take it out.

Everytime Dora approaches Mocha she runs or jumps out of the pen so that doesn’t help this situation at all.

However Dora stretches out, binkies, and relaxes and at the end of today’s session Dora and Mocha were laying next to each other – granted, Mocha wasn’t thrilled but Dora seems to want to be with another rabbit  so I think it might work out with these 2 if Mocha will learn to trust Dora eventually.

They also laid in the pen together but not by each other for a awhile.

I’m eager to see thought what happens when I put Linus in the mix – he’s about 4 years old (neutered of course) so he may be more mellow than both of these girls.  I really thought that Mocha would be more up to having a friend since she was bonded from birth with her mom – she may be but maybe it’s just Dora, she’s young and energetic and Mocha’s pretty mellow.

Sarita

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Try petting and soothing Mocha while Dora approaches, and when Dora does, start petting her too. The hope here is to get one or the other to groom the other rabbit. Mocha sounds frightened and I must say that same sex pairings are often tougher than a male-female pairing and can take longer. But it sounds like you have a lot of patience are you are doing well. You might want to make the pen higher so Mocha cannot jump out (she can get hurt doing that) and provide some hidey places like a step stool, laundry basket or box turned upside down. This will provide Mocha with some safety and security but allow Dora to interact with her as well. This can also be a disadvantage as well if the one bun spends all the time in there and the buns end up not interacting at all. So, try a bunny tunnel, you can see what is going on at each end and provides Mocha a means of escape no matter what end Dora enters. You may need to alter or remove some hidey spaces to encourage interaction during all of this, you’re doing great! You may want to check the nip spots to be sure the skin is not broken as repeated nips can cause it to happen.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Those are great ideas – thank you.

I will have a higher pen too I just didn’t realize poor Mocha was a jumper. I like this shorter pen though because I can leave and enter quickly but it’s not the best thing with poor Mocha jumping out. I never leave the room either while they are together.

I did do the petting thing too – that made me feel better too :~) because I knew Mocha was unhappy with the whole situation. I

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

You’re welcome! I really hope it helps, and I know the other mods here have some great tips as well. Definately do not leave them unsupervised as you well know what can happen. : ) I know it is so much easier to have a shorter pen to get in & out of, but like you said, you found out that Mocha is a jumper. : )

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Preliminary Bonding of My Trio