Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pre-Spay Jitters

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittlePuffyTail
      18092 posts Send Private Message

Olivia is going for her spay on Wednesday. I’m very nervous because it’s over 5 years since I’ve dealt with a rabbit spay and I’m not sure what to expect. What are some things I can do to help make her comftorable when she gets home? How long until she should be eating and pooping?

Poor Olivia. I’m going to feel so bad taking her there. She HATES the car. She hyperventilates and shakes really bad. It’s terribly traumatic bringing her to the vet. I just have to keep telling myself that it’s for her own good and I’m doing it because I love here.

I guess it’s normal to be worried about any bunny surgery and I can’t get out of the back of my mind the members who lost their bunnies during a spay. How common is it for something to go wrong during the spay?

Please wish my little girl lots of luck!

• Sica
        Participant
        40 posts Send Private Message

Try to be calm for her so that she doesn’t pick on your anxiety to much. Good luck to you and Olivia! All will be well!

• jerseygirl
          22345 posts Send Private Message

Successful spay and healing vibes to you Olivia. Calm one’s for you LPT. She’s such a beautiful girl LPT, we need to see more pics of her about the place! ;o)

• Slater91
            Participant
            56 posts Send Private Message

Good luck to you, make sure you let us know how it goes…

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

i think the unsuccessful spays stick out in my mind more. you have to realize that for every one that does not go well, many more of them are perfectly fine. it’s going to depend on your vet too. you trust your vet and his abilities. so i would not worry too much. are you doing bloodwork? i remember when you got her, she had some health issues, and her fright/shaking when traveling would probably make me want to double-check beforehand that everything is okay with her and to make sure she is strong/well enough for surgery.

• Becci
                Participant
                4 posts Send Private Message

what is a spray??? is it the snip??

• Becci
                  Participant

im getting my giant fench lop snipped on friday in the hope he will stop spraying all my firniture and chewing it. he lives in the house n its getting beyond the joke!!!!

• Beka27
                    Participant

^^^Welcome here! That’s great you are neutering your bun. Aside from the benefits of decreased spraying, you should see other positive behavioral changes as well.

A SPAY is the female version of neutering. It is invasive and therefore a more risky surgery. The vet goes in and removes the uterus and ovaries. This is very important with female rabbits as they have an 80% risk of developing cancer by the age of 3 if not spayed.

• Becci
                      Participant

so how will my bun be he is male n gettin snipped this friday

• pryzmkess
                        Participant
                        50 posts Send Private Message

Wow… Olivia is going in tomorrow, my Chloe on Thursday and Rebecca’s lop on Friday! That’s quite a line up. Warm wishes and vibes to both you and your bunnies!!

Welcome Rebecca. BTW, we love cute stories and cuter pictures.

• BinkyBunny
                          8776 posts Send Private Message

LPT – Calm vibes to you and quick recover vibes Olivia!

I agree with Sica,(welcome Sica, by the way) I do believe our animals can pick up our anxieties – don’t know if we show subtle body language and/or we may even give out a “stress” scent.(not the stinky kind!) But animals always seem to pick up our moods.

Rebecca – males normally recover much easier than females. Here is a link to some post “snip” tips. http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html#pre-post-care

• LittlePuffyTail

Well tomorrow is the big day. There is a slight chance it may have to be rescheduled as there is a snow storm outside right now and it depends on how it progresses overnight, I guess. I would hate to reschedule the spay but I’m not going to risk my life (and hers) driving in unsafe weather. So I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

• LittlePuffyTail

Well, Olivia was probably glad of the storm. Her spay is re-scheduled for next week on Wednesday. I couldn’t bring her in this morning because I had about 3 feet of snow in my driveway and the roads were pretty bad. I sort of wish it would be over and done with now, but not much I can do about the weather.

• xParadise
                                Participant
                                182 posts Send Private Message

It’s best you stay home if the weather is that bad. I understand though, wanting it to be over and done with. But it’s better for everyone to stay off of those roads! Good luck on Wednesday.

• Beka27
                                  Participant

it happens! we got hit kinda hard with all of that yesterday. blech. (hate snow.)

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                    Participant
                                    12067 posts Send Private Message

I totally missed this thread!! LPT glad you stayed home and safe, next week is as good as any

• BinkyBunny
                                      8776 posts Send Private Message

Yes, Safe and sound is best, and yeah, I know part of you just didn’t want to have to go through the pre-jitters again. That part is no fun. Well, better for you to stay safe so you can live to be jittery again. We’ll try to keep you calm in the meantime. ….sending more long-lasting calm vibes.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pre-Spay Jitters