Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Potting mix, Protozoa, Bentonite and rabbit’s safety

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Flint
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone, I’m a very new bunny parent and this may seem like a very silly question, but here goes…

I recently ventured into growing pots of grass for my bunny. I bought regular potting mix from the store and ryegrass seeds, they’ve sprouted up wonderfully and are almost ready for consumption. However I’m now becoming very paranoid after chancing upon some information about issues with soil, fertilizers and health related issues.

The potting mix I bought listed fungi and protozoa, so I looked up protozoa and found some scary information about protozoan infections.

Please give me some advice. Is the soil safe? Will it lead to an infection? Should I dump the pots of grass, carrot tops and herbs? Is there such a thing as a potting mix without protozoa and fungi? Doesn’t the soil in the garden contain these things too?

Also, the box of grass seeds contains Bentonite – is this a concern too?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some answers! )

• Mimsy
        Participant
        271 posts Send Private Message

Hi there. Bentonite is just a clay to keep the seeds from getting moist while still being stored.

Protozoa just means one celled organism. That covers many living things. They would not put a parasite in the soil I’m sure, such as giardia or coccidia. They put things in it meant to make it better for the plants, and that would not be contagious to animals or human type stuff.

Now with that said, I don’t know what they put in garden soil that is not organic types. Do they add harsh chemicals and pesticides? I wouldn’t want my bunny to dig in that if that is the case. maybe someone else can jump in and help with that. I’ve been wanting to grow some too and want to know what a good choice in soil would be.

• tobyluv
          Participant
          3310 posts Send Private Message

I think that the regular potting soil would be fine, but there are several brands of organic potting soil out there if you would rather use those. You should be able to find them in garden centers or the big box stores.

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

Microorganisms are what make soil healthy and good for the plants. They are part of the ecosystem (there is a whole WORLD of microorganisms in the soil and they all have different roles). I agree, I doubt there is anything harmful in the potting soil. Unless, of course, it has fertilizer or pesticides added to it.

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message
            Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Potting mix, Protozoa, Bentonite and rabbit’s safety