Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Potamus – head tilt

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
    • jerseygirl
      22342 posts Send Private Message

Unfortunately Potamus has developed head tilt.
        I got her seen by the vet yesterday afternoon and she’s been started off on antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. This morning she has some slow horizontal eye movement also. I’m only able to see it in one eye, the other is harder to see as she is tilted. I have panacur too and vet ok’d me to give if things worsen. I do want give just the 2 current meds first and not over load her system.

She’s six years old now. I think it was last year she developed some nystagmus but it resolved quickly. She’s only eaten dried willow so I’m getting worried not enough food going into her. Hopefully this turns around soon and her appetite picks up. Force feeding is the worst.

• Q8bunny
        Participant
        6345 posts Send Private Message

Do you have Critical Care on hand in case you need to syringe feed? Or will you just make a pellet mash?

• LBJ10
          16899 posts Send Private Message

Oh no, poor Potamus. Is she having vertigo? Or is her head just tilted a bit?

• jerseygirl

No criticare but I have a friend not far away that has a bag if I need it. I also have ground pellets.
              She took some baby food syringed last night so hopefully that gets her energy up. She ate some carrot top and bit of grass but nowhere near what is like her to eat.
              She also had some hay cookie and there’s been some poops.

LBJ, I think some vertigo as she’s stumbling a bit. Her nystagmus more pronounce now too. We don’t have Meclizine here so I picked up some polaramine (chlorpheniramine) in the hopes it will help with that.
              Im reading that cyclizine can be used. I think I can get that here.

• LittlePuffyTail
              18092 posts Send Private Message

So sorry to hear this. Hope she recovers quickly. ((((Healing Vibes))))))

Agreed. Force feeding is the worse.

• LBJ10

Aww, well hopefully that will help any vertigo she may be experiencing.

• jerseygirl

I think the angle of her head is looking better. It’s day 4 on meds now. She has the head rotation (about 30%) but she also had the angling of the head back toward the hind end. The yaw axis or whatever its called! Both have improved some.  They eye movement is gone also  *Touch wood*

• LittlePuffyTail

(((((More Healing Vibes for Potamus))))))

• Asriel and Bombur
                      Participant
                      1104 posts Send Private Message

Sending her all the vibes from out bun family <3

• Q8bunny
                        Participant

?

• sarahthegemini
                          Participant
                          5584 posts Send Private Message

I had missed this thread completely!

I’m glad you’re seeing some improvements I’m sure you already know but there are some leaves that are supposed to stimulate the appetite (I think plantain might be one?) I don’t know how effective they would be in reality but might be worth a try?

• jerseygirl

Thank you everyone. She seems stable.. still tilted but her brain has adjusted I suspect. 

I actually salvaged quite a bit of ribwort plantain on the weekend before slashing the overgrown yard. Unfortunately, Potamus is fussy about most greens. The others have been enjoying them.

She’s eating a little parsley and some lettuce. Small amounts. She ate some pellets for the 1st time yesterday so that’s always a good sign. Again, only a tiny amount. She’s eating some finer strands of hay. Dried willow is still being favoured, but not fresh willow. 

Her poos are really small and hard but at least there is something going in and something coming out.

• Q8bunny
                              Participant

In ‘n out, in ‘n out… ❤️❤️❤️

• LittlePuffyTail

(((((More Love and Healing Vibes for Potamus))))) Stay strong and get better soon!

• Nutmeg
                                  Participant
                                  594 posts Send Private Message

Oh no! Sending healing vibes <<<>> way!!

• jerseygirl

I had drawn up Thursday’s dose of meloxicam but discovered next day Id forgotten to give it.  However, I’d noticed her appetite seemed a better. So I skipped yesterday’s dose also (she only had the baytril) and she seemed brighter. Im thinking I’ll reduce dose if she needs stay on it.

• Q8bunny
                                      Participant

That’s such a cute photo of Potamus. She looks like she’s giving you a cheeky wink. Glad she’s perked up. I know meds are necessary, but they sure can take a toll on one’s system… xo

• LBJ10

Aww, she is so adorable! The tilt isn’t too bad and it looks like no facial paralysis, so that’s good. I’m glad she seems a bit brighter now.

• jerseygirl

Yeah. The photo was from day 1 or 2. Her tilt doesn’t look too bad still though.

The desire to eat pellets is there but she doesn’t stay at it long.

She seems have some positional vertigo or something now. When I go to give meds, she’s goes onto her side and her head tucks right in and then turns almost upside down. It’s worrying to witness. I see some nystagmus again during this.

However, she does get upright again, able to hop around after. (With Maple, she was fully unable to stand and went into frequent rolling episodes).

I think I’ll have keep up the metacam & bring panacur I’m also. Ugh.

Silver lining, she’s eating.

• LittlePuffyTail

She’s so cute. Poor little bub. It’s so hard seeing a bun have nystagmus and dizziness.

(((((Potamus))))))

• kurottabun
                                              Participant
                                              908 posts Send Private Message

Aw that picture of her is too cute xx

Sending some vibes over for little Potamus!

• jerseygirl

Ive neglected to update about Miss Mooshy.
                                                  We are on day 28 panacur now so I’ll be able to stop that soon. Hooray!! She still goes funny if I pick her up to medicate so Ive mainly stuck with keeping all 4 paws on the floor and holding her head to get the stuff in. Gooseman has been on it also.

She’s still tilted but hops around as the same speed as she did pre-tilt. She’s also eating well and producing tons of poops. Just hardly doing any in the litterbox. She’s also favouring peeing on the floor. 

She was one for doing this before anyway although not nearly as frequently. Im hoping she’ll get back to better habits in time. She has NO problem getting in the litterbox, btw….

She’s looking leaner and a bit scruffy. She was moulting and not able to groom as effectively. Her eyes seem good. Her up facing eye got a bit weepy and she has small amount of fur loss nearby as it was continually wet. It seems to have improved again. The down facing eye appears healthy, not leaking. Not drying out or irritated.

So I suppose now I wait to see if there is further improvement once the panacur stops. From memory, that can happen. If there is relapse, I think im looking at xray in case something is affecting the inner ear after all.

• Gina.Jenny
                                                  Participant
                                                  2244 posts Send Private Message

(((Potamus)))

Podge made a full recovery from his head tilt, he sends heartfelt healing vibes that Potamus does too x

• LBJ10

She doesn’t look too bad Jersey. I’m glad to hear she is doing well and the tilt isn’t affecting her too much.

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                                                      Participant
                                                      2512 posts Send Private Message

Awww, even though she’s sick she looks too adorable! Get well soon little cutie

• jerseygirl

Thanks guys! I think she is looking good too.

I made an error. We still have a week of panacuring. Obviously I was getting ahead of myself!

Some positives out of this is she has really taken to eating greens. It’s been years since she has shown this sort of interest / preference. For some reason, both her and Maple(when she was still with us) began to eat less greens. Goose was the only of the 3 to be really keen. Maple would join him after a while and Potamus just picked at pieces. All 3 were straight into the fresh rye or oat grass though.

• LittlePuffyTail

She’s so cute!!!! Tilt or no…  (((((More Healing Vibes))))) Hope there is continued improvement.

• jerseygirl

Hello !

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                                                              Participant
                                                              2512 posts Send Private Message

Awww, congrats Potamus ^_^ Good to see you doing so much better!

• LBJ10

Her tilt is looking better!

• Q8bunny
                                                                  Participant

hi fuzzy face!

• DanaNM
                                                                    8930 posts Send Private Message

Oh wow, just reading all of this now, she looks so much better! Way to go!

And oh my word is she adorable!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LittlePuffyTail

Hello, gorgeous!!! ****Nose Boop******

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Potamus – head tilt