Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Post-Spay set up

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Laragc
      Participant
      32 posts Send Private Message

We had been told by two separate vets that our girl bunny was spayed despite not having a tattoo. However, after having trouble bonding her with another girl rabbit she at first seemed to like a lot (who is 100% unquestionably spayed), and thinking about her behavior, I decided to get another opinion (she needed an exam anyway). New vet said hmmm, no scar, no tattoo.  Palpated her, did not feel a uterus (other vets had done this too). Decided to ultrasound her. Thought it was about 80% they saw an ovary on one side so decided to do surgery. Yep, intact bunny.  

So, now, I have a bunny recovering from a spay who has been mid bond with another girl bunny. I know we need to wait at least 6 weeks to start bonding them again. But I have questions:

1) Is six weeks long enough?  Is eight better? Longer?

2) For the first two weeks, I’m putting her in a separate room than the other bun (they are always in separate cages). It’s quieter and less stressful in there and it’s where she lived before we started this process.  But after that, should they be side by side?  Should I wait longer than that? It’s inconvenient for the side by side set up in our house and she isn’t always totally happy about it. But, of course, she wasn’t spayed before.  Thoughts?  

3) When we reintroduce them, they are going to have baggage. Of course.  This is a bond that started pretty well actually (and yes, I know, weird, but it did).  But there has been a fight. Thoughts on the reintroduction sessions?

• Bunny House
        Participant
        1241 posts Send Private Message

I personally would wait 8 weeks because females can be extra hormonal and if you have the time, I think it’s the best option.

You can put them side by side within a week or two and then I would say at 3-4 weeks you can start switching them in each other’s areas since she will smell differently than before and they might both need the extra time to adjust the the new smell.

As far as reintroduction, was there blood drawn? Is there one that was more scared after the fight? Having less hormones may actually calm both of them down and be able to have a great bond, but of course prebonding is extra important since there was a fight. And when introducing them, a neutral area is best, as you know. I would first do the prebodning and when no more aggression is shown, then you can do the introductions

• Laragc
          Participant

Thanks. Very helpful. She is home now and already hopping around a bit and eating and pooping and grooming like crazy. I’m going to have to check her staples a lot.

• Laragc
            Participant

Thanks. Very helpful. She is home now and already hopping around a bit and eating and pooping and grooming like crazy. I’m going to have to check her staples a lot.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Post-Spay set up