Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Post-Spay incision site

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • CookieWookie
      Participant
      17 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure how this website works, I created a topic yesterday about this but I couldn’t add on to it so I’ll just create a new one.

In my previous topic I just asked if my bunnies incision site looked normal, and according to everyone I had nothing to worry about and I was right in thinking it looked fine.

But, today at some point when I wasn’t around, Cookie decided to bite on a scab at the incision. I called the vet and they said it “looked good and should heal fine” but to “call if it gets bigger”.

It’s now since become dry blood, but I’m worried she may do something over night to bother it or make it even bigger. I have her in a “hospital” cage right now, so she’s in a small space.

I don’t know I guess I’m just looking for some piece of mind that she’ll be fine and it’s nothing to worry about, and maybe some advice since I can’t watch her over night to make sure she’s not pulling at anything.

I’ve only had a rabbit once in my life but I was about 5 and never had to do any of this stuff with him, so all of this is just worrisome and stressful, I’m feeling the full effects of being a pet parent😰

PICTURES BELOW: FIRST PHOTO-WHAT I POSTED ON PREVIOUS FORUM, WAS HEALING WELL, SECOND PHOTO-AFTER SHE BOTHERED THE STITCHES

• LBJ10
        16899 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, I don’t see a reply to your original thread pending. Weird.

At this point, her stitches are probably getting itchy. It still looks OK in the picture, but I would keep an eye on it. You could try putting some ointment on it so it doesn’t itch as much.

You could also try an e collar alternative like a “body sock”. Basically, you take an old sock and cut holes in it to make a “shirt” that covers the incision.

• CookieWookie
            Participant

Yeah I tried to reply to my original thread, but when I tried inserting a pic it wouldn’t load in, then it got to the point where when I typed the words were just invisible. So I just thought easiest way would be open another.

yeah I imagine they would, especially the type they are, like a metal. Eek, I would also be annoyed and itching if I were her!

Is there a specific brand of ointment or where would I find it? The vet didn’t give me anything after her appointment.

I was just thinking I should’ve asked for an e collar when I got her back, but I didn’t think she’d be the type to bother the stitching. That sock method is a really really good idea, I think I might look into it a try it actually, thank you!!

• Hazel
            Participant
            2587 posts Send Private Message

Agree with LBJ. If you do the body sock, be careful not to pull it across the incision as you’re putting it on, try to keep it away from the stitches until it’s in place (if that makes sense). Since they’re made of metal, they might get caught in the fabric. And of course, the same goes for taking it off.

• CookieWookie
                Participant

That makes sense yes! I may only try that if it I see that she’s starting to pull on it even more. I’m going to watch her like a hawk today.

It sucks they use metal stitches, there had to have been something less annoying and pokey they could’ve used. I saw one day I think they moved around a bit and one end was poking at her because started hoping around in a strange way like something was in her paw but I think it was the stitching bothering her:(

• Hazel
                Participant
                2587 posts Send Private Message

Yeah I was thinking that too. I don’t know how common these kind of stitches are, but I’ve personally never seen them used. I imagine they’re somewhat uncomfortable. 🙁

• CookieWookie
                  Participant

They are like the metal material center of a twisty tie.
                    When I was doing my research on bunny spay, anything I saw about stitches definitely wasn’t much about metal! I took her to a place in VA, maybe certain states or county’s use certain stitchings more I don’t know, I just wish they didn’t use this kind.

There probably wouldn’t have been too much of a problem with pulling at it if they were different type

• LBJ10

Plain Neosporin (i.e. no pain reliever added) is safe to use. The antibiotic probably isn’t necessary, but I imagine in won’t hurt. Other options would be things like Bag Balm or plain diaper rash cream (i.e. no zinc, etc. added).

• CookieWookie
                        Participant

Thank you so much for letting me know all this, I really appreciate it!!

I’m so so stressed about taking good care of her. She on the other hand could care less and is acting like nothing is wrong and making it a point to make taking care of her tough, she’s the worst patient😆

• Bam
                        16872 posts Send Private Message

That is lovely to hear! It is actually a good sign when a rabbit gives us a hard time when we try to medicate or force feed it etc.

(Obviously with the exception of rabbits that have a chronic or longterm problem that needs treatment, those rabbits will eventually become used to being handled).

• CookieWookie
                            Participant

That’s true, it is a good sign!
                              I’ve been letting her out longer now that we are 3 days out from having her stitches removed and the vet said the incision just looked irritated from her bothering it, and she won’t stop doing binkies and zoomies😆So she’s definitely ok now, and quite happy she doesn’t have to lie around and heal.

• CookieWookie
                            Participant

Update: She just got the stitches out today and it looks great! She’s a very happy bunny now:)

Thanks again everyone for giving me advice!❤️

• Bam
                              16872 posts Send Private Message

Yay!!! Thanks for the update!

• LBJ10

Glad to hear it!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Post-Spay incision site