Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Possibly Taking On a Bunny?

• This topic has 7sd replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by BZOO.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Rae
      Participant
      44 posts Send Private Message

Hey all,

Hope this is in the right place. Long story short: accidentally stumbled upon bunny who lives in appalling conditions being given away for free online. I feel a need to save this bunny. I am, next week, getting a second rabbit as a bond-mate for my current, Gus. If I were to also get the bunny online, we would be going from one to three in a few week span. I have space to keep neglected bunny separate from my duo (an entire room to him/herself), and the finances to get him/her into a vet and spayed/neutered.

Dilemma: Should I save this rabbit? If I can care for, in all ways, all rabbits involved? My goal has always been a trio, but adding on two bunnies to the family so quickly seems like a bad idea. Is it possible to “privately” foster? Do you think it is possible to find a family willing to take on neglected bunny without the help of a shelter? I know you can’t save them all, but, I really want to do something for this little guy.

• Hazel
        Participant
        2587 posts Send Private Message

I would, if someone like you doesn’t save him he will likely end up as snake food. That’s why people should ask for an adoption fee when rehoming, a “pocket pet” being given away for free is usually snatched up to become either snake food or dog bait. You can always rehome him once he’s been fixed up.

Thanks you for considering to save this poor thing. 🙁

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

I understand the dilemma (coming from the person that went from 2 to four because I apparently don’t have the will power to volunteer at a rescue because I end up wanting them all LOL).

If you feel like you can care for the bunny and can either keep him, or keep him long enough to appropriately rehome him, then I say go for it.

If your goal is a trio, you might even find it easier to just work with all three together. From my personal failed-trio experience, once you have a pair it can be mentally hard to push forward with the trio, because you already have a happy pair.

I will say that going from 1 to 2 bunnies doesn’t feel like too much extra work, but going from 2 to 3 does a bit, especially with different enclosures. So consider the burden of taking care of three single rabbits for a while. You can always safely rehome the 3rd if it isn’t working out, and at least you’ll know you helped him find a better home (and getting it neutered/spayed is huge!).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• pinkiemarie
            Participant
            414 posts Send Private Message

Of you can in terms of space, finances and love then please do!

• BZOO
              Participant
              329 posts Send Private Message

Please do save him!  If nothing more than to fix him up and re-home.  Thank you!  Keep us posted!!

Maybe someone here could take them if you’re willing to share where your at.

• Hazel
                Participant
                2587 posts Send Private Message

Any news?

• Rae
                  Participant
                  44 posts Send Private Message

Just an update;

The owner never responded. I did reach out and even offered to drive the full hour to grab him, told her I’d fix him up and give him a new indoor home.

I just hope they gave him off to somebody capable of caring for him, especially since its Easter season.

Thank you all for the responses, I did really try to get him. I don’t think they  cared for him all that much in the first place.

• BZOO
                    Participant
                    329 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for trying.  Happy thoughts he is ok.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Possibly Taking On a Bunny?