Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Possible resource for food???

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Deleted User
      Participant
      22064 posts Send Private Message

Ok a friend recommended Dr’s Foster and Smith… I went to their site and they have 2 food possibilities…One was a straight timothy pellet, but then there was this other one which had various green stuff no alfalfa…What are the thoughts on the nutrition of this food??? Otherwise i will just start ordering 10 lb bags of the timothy based pellets…Thanks again.

Marshall Peter’s Premium Rabbit Diet Growth Formula

Switching Diets? Rabbits have very delicate digestive systems, so changing diets can sometimes be challenging. Mix Peter’s Premium Rabbit Diet with current food in equal amounts. Slowly increase the amount of Peter’s Premium Rabbit Diet with every feeding until it’s the only food offered.

Feeding Instructions: Rabbits should be free fed. Feed as much Peter’s Premium Rabbit Diet Formulas as your rabbit will eat in one day.

Maintenance Formula

Guaranteed Analysis
        Crude Protein 12.60% min
        Crude Fat 2.52% min
        Crude Fiber 16.08% min
        Crude Fiber 19.87% max
        Moisture 13.13% (max)
        Calcium 0.85% (min)
        Calcium 1.45% (max)
        Phosphorus 0.50% (min)
        Copper 10.50 mg/kg (min)
        Vitamin A 10,000 IU/kg (min)
        Vitamin D3 1,000 IU/kg (min)
        Vitamin E 33.50 IU/kg (min)

Ingredients: Lucerne green meal, dandelion, lettuce, clover, tall oatgrass, golden oatgrass, meadow fescue, meadow foxtail, rye grass, red fescue, smooth-stalk meadow grass, timothy, bent grass, white clover, birds-foot trefoil, yarrow, French sorrel, oat bran, wheat bran, soybean peel, dried beet molasses, soybean meal, barley bran, beet molasses, salt.

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

Hmm – I would go with the Timothy pellets, mainly because this is what has always been recommended to me, and since rabbits base their diets around hay, I think it makes the most sense to go with a hay based pellet. I would also be wary of this brand because the instructions say to “free feed” this pellet to the rabbit, which doesn’t sound right to me. Pellets should not be free fed, so it kind of ruins the credibility of this feed to me. Also, rabbit pellets should never be the only food offered, and since they say in the instructions “feed until its the only food offered” – that also doesn’t have much credibility. I have always stuck with the Oxbow Timothy Pellets, and my buns have been doing well on that.

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, I have to say that I am a little torn here.  With your little guys, they really need the extra in their growing years with the lucerne (alfalfa) hay. The free feeding part I am drawing from this as a "growth formula" for young rabbits which is how they should be fed pellets. Overall it sounds OK but, it seems to me I read somewhere it is not.  Are you feeding the lucerne hay? Forgive me, my memory sometimes isn’t so great.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

I am a little scared about those instructions!!!!!
              Obviously they just call themselves doctors and aren’t!! Are these the same guys who recommended giving raw hides to bunnies?

* To answer your question, go with timothy unless you have a young rabbit, then you can choose alfalfa…Never only off pellets, they should just be a supplement to hay.

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant

Kokanee, her rabbits are young ones still at only 4 months old.

• Sarita
                Participant
                18851 posts Send Private Message

I think if your rabbits are 4 months old I would really consider the timothy pellets and you can still give them alfalfa hay too.   Nowhere does it ever say to specifically feed a baby or young bunny alfalfa pellets only alfalfa hay which is better for them than the alfalfa pellets in my opinion.  

Here’s a good article on pellets:

http://www.wisconsinhrs.org/Articles/Pellet%20Types.htm

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant

Awesome Sarita! Thank you for coming to the rescue!  Everywhere I read it said alfalfa pellets but I kept thinking, is it really a must?

• Deleted User
                    Participant
                    22064 posts Send Private Message

Thanks so much for all the info, the website also sells oxbow so I think I will go with them, I am also feeding alfalfa and timothy hay, If i give them just alfalfa they dont eat it, but mixing with timothy hay they eat it…spoiled bunnies.

• Gravehearted
                      Participant
                      2428 posts Send Private Message

I’d recommend the oxbow pellets too. 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Possible resource for food???