Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Poops after spay

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kassandra
      Participant
      12 posts Send Private Message

Hello! My little bun Sushi just got spayed 24 hours ago and she is eating more and more on her own and has had her first few poops since her spay. BUT!! they look weird, they are smaller mushier and darker? Is this normal for being a day out of spay?

• Bunny House
        Participant
        1241 posts Send Private Message

Hi, did you vet give her pain meds for a couple of days and did they tell you to force feed her after her spay to keep her gi tract goin?

• Kassandra
          Participant

Yes she is on pain meds, 1.5 mg/ml of Meloxicam for three days and today was her first day on them. The vet also said to make sure she is eating so I have tried to force feed her critical care through a syringe but she hate the syringe >.< so its been rough but she is eating hay and greens and drinking water. No pellets yet though.

• Kassandra
            Participant

Yes she is on pain meds, 1.5 mg/ml of Meloxicam for three days and today was her first day on them. The vet also said to make sure she is eating so I have tried to force feed her critical care through a syringe but she hate the syringe >.< so its been rough but she is eating hay and greens and drinking water. No pellets yet though.

• Bunny House
              Participant

She probably needs to be force fed, I know most buns hate it but if she doesn’t have enough fiber in her tummy, it won’t push the poops along.

Have you tried giving her some CC mixed with pumpkin or plain apple sauce on a plate to see if she eat it on her own? Have you offered her mint or basil to see if that sparks an appetite. its good she is eating but she might need a push from the critical care to get everything back on track.

• Kassandra
                Participant

I will definitely try that tonight so that she has something in her before her next round of painkillers. I will try to see what I can mix it with so that she takes the critical care by itself!

• Bunny House
                  Participant

And if she doesn’t eat it on her own she may need it force fed!

• sarahthegemini
                    Participant
                    5584 posts Send Private Message

It’s totally normal for bunnies to have strange poops after being spayed. Something to do with all the anaesthetic used. So long as she’s eating and still pooping, I wouldn’t worry. If she’s eating a good amount of hay and greens, you don’t need to force feed.

It can take up to 2 weeks for poops to go back to normal.

• Kassandra
                      Participant

Thank you very much! I took her to the vet today and he said she seems great, her incision is perfect and she doesn’t seem to be in any pain, he even picked her up out of her carrier!  He thinks she is just stressed from the surgery and it will just take some time for her to be back to normal. He gave her some fluids and just told me to make sure she eats and drinks. Try critical care if she doesn’t fight it to much. I think she will be great in time, she did have quite the personality and attitude before her spay so … she is just one of those buns

• Bunny House
                        Participant

I hope she gets back to normal fast!!

• Kassandra
                          Participant

Thank you! She is looking pretty good this evening! I have to go back to school and work tomorrow but I will be sure to leave plenty of hay, pellets,, greens, treats and water for her! 

• Bunny House
                            Participant

Awesome

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Poops after spay