Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Pooping when new rabbit came home

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • jmdb
      Participant
      20 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

I have been reading lots of similar stories, but can’t find anything that answers my particular question.

I have a 7-month old doe Netherland Dwarf (M), who was sterilised 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, I adopted a young buck Belier (T), who I would like to bond with her.

M is a free roaming bunny, allowed in all parts of the apartment and balcony. The only rooms she isn’t allowed in are the guest bathroom and master bedroom/en-suite bathroom.

We set up a temporary room for T in the guest bathroom. It’s joined to the hallway, which M has free reign of. We set up a C&C barrier along with a metre-high piece of wood so they cannot see each other. The barrier also gives about half a metre between them.

I’ve read different opinions on whether they should be kept in the same room and whether they should be able to see each other or not, and I’m hoping this is okay. It’s my first time bonding bunnies, so I’m in new territory and a little terrified.

My plan is to get T neutered in the next couple of weeks, then begin the bonding process in the master bathroom (neither of them have been in) once he has recovered/hormones have calmed down. At the moment he’s very docile and just seems curious when he knows M is on the other side of the barrier, looking up on his back legs etc.

At first, M was curious and on higher alert than usual. Then, she started pooping a lot. She never poops outside of her litter trays – one on the balcony and one in her bedroom – except the occasional poop on my sofa when I’m not sat down by the usual time. But she has been pooping all over the house since T came home, mostly on the hallway floor and the sofa.

Is this normal and will it affect the bonding process? I don’t want to stress either bunny more than I need to. But she has started circling me a lot, pooping all over and generally running around more. She’s still flopped in her usual spots and mostly followed her daily routine, but she’s also been running off to stand on her back legs and try to see over the barrier.

Any help/reassurance would be greatly appreciated!! I don’t want to do anything that will stress either bunny or, more importantly, complicate the bonding process. Thank you!

• HipHopBunny
        Participant
        640 posts Send Private Message

Oooh, it sounds like you’ve entered the poop/pee wars! 😆 Definitely been there. 😉 The best part is that these new ones might even smell more in the buns’ attempt to mark territory! Gotta love them and their habits, right? 😛

For the setup ~ I think that sounds good. 🙂 Usually, some people will have them side-by-side so that they can get used to the others’ smells/presence, but I think that with T’s pen stretching into an area where M can visit him is good, too. 🙂

Sending good bonding vibes!!

• jmdb
          Participant
          20 posts Send Private Message

Phew! That’s reassuring. So nothing to worry about? Today M started grunting and circling my feet when I walk around, and also bit my husband. We were wondering if it might be best to move T into the bedroom where she doesn’t go for the time being, to keep them completely separate. I’m totally new to bonding and I know it’s a fragile process.

Thank you so much!!

• HipHopBunny
            Participant
            640 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes buns will get a little more territorial when a new bun arrives, so she might be prone to tempers more easily. 🙁  Sorry she’s acting up!

As you said, maybe moving T into somewhere where M can’t see/smell him would be best for now, since he isn’t yet neutered. (I forgot about that! lol ) After buns get fixed, usually their smells will change, so anything that might happen between them would get set back.

You’re doing great!! 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Pooping when new rabbit came home