Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Poop size changes after night

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunzel
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hello,

I have a 3month old bun and his poop size changes sometimes throughout the day from smaller to bigger, depending on how much hay he eats. I give him timothy hay with a bit of meadow hay and young rabbit pellets exactly measured to his weight at 7 am and pm. He does like both types of hay, especially when I give him fresh out of bag hay – that’s how I try to make him eat more hay. My concern is mostly during the night because he seems to not eat that much and actually sleeps a lot, even though he has his naps during the day too. I am not sure if it’s the darkness (although he keeps sleeping even when I am up and the lamp is on) or he just likes to sleep during the night and eats more during the day. But that means that sometimes I find tiny round poops (1 or 2) in the morning, which I think means his gut slowed down during the night from not eating.

Is it okay that his poop size changes depending on how much he eats? He has an appetite and drinks water regularly during the day, but at night he can sleep for hours. For now, if I can, I try to gently wake him up at night, so he eats, but I don´t think it is maintainable for the future. Plus, he did thump two times now when  I woke him up and coaxed him to eat. He does not show any lethargy or unhappiness, he is binkying and zooming around. When he sleeps, he is mostly on his side with both feet out and head resting on the ground or up.

• LBJ10
        16869 posts Send Private Message

This is normal. I wouldn’t be overly concerned, but it’s always a good idea to keep track so you know what’s normal for him.

• Bunzel
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you very much for your comment 🙂 I guess after reading almost every article there is on bunny poop, where everyone says poop should be one color and the same size, I was not sure if it is okay. I will definitely keep an eye on him since he is still growing and things might change.

• Bam
            16836 posts Send Private Message

It is actually normal for the poops to be smaller after a longer period of resting. Rabbits are not nocturnal, they’re crepuscular meaning they’re at their most active in the evenings and mornings.

As LBJ says, it’s great that you’re keeping track. Knowing what’s normal for your particular bun is very useful and enables you to detect potential problems early.

• MMmm
              Participant
              55 posts Send Private Message

It’s weird that I found this post which exactly states my concern as well! In my experience rabbits eat the most throughout the night but this young bun (4 months old) that I recently adopted doesn’t seem to eat much at night. In fact he leaves his hay pretty much untouched when I check on him in the morning. He also naps during the day too. He eats frequently when he isn’t napping in the day. And his poop size gets smaller in the morning probably from not eating much through the night and gets bigger in the afternoon. I also find this very weird as my previous rabbit always ate more at night than the day.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Poop size changes after night