Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE poop problems

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • xnovalentine
      Participant
      309 posts Send Private Message

i’ve just noticed that lulla’s poop has changed to small, dark,  and almost liquid. sort of like a semi-melted chocolate chip, it was also very much smaller than usual, and she also has not pooped much today. I’ve been concerned with her eating habits lately – if you’ve read some of my other posts. But I just looked in her litter box to find this.

i’ve also heard her sneeze a couple times today – as well as her not being very active today. usually she will run around but it seems today she’s just been lounging around and being exceptionally affectionate. except for now – she just came up and dug into my arm then bit me (wasn’t that nice?) but thats the most i’ve seen her do all day.

should i take her to the vet to get checked out? or is there something else i can do? does anyone know what these symptoms could mean?

• xnovalentine
        Participant

heres an update –

i still have not seen lulla poo anywhere, but she has started to running and binkying around, i think she tuckered herself out – she went back to her cage for a nap. hopefully this is a good sign!

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello!

The type of poop you are describing actually sounds like a cecotrope – has she had any normal poops since this happened? Bunnies are supposed to eat their cecotropes, which is why you wouldn’t often see these, but they are a normal thing for bunnies to have. I’d keep an eye out for some normal poops though. If she’s running around and binkying, that is a very good sign. If the poop is not a cecotrope, then it sounds like she may not be eating enough hay, how is she doing with eating her hay lately?

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Cecetropes usually are smaller, shiny, and mushy, but not too liquidy. Most of the time they are in grapelike clumps, but if one was left behind then that could explain what you saw. Did she get into anything? Has she been on any antibiotics? Anything new?

The thing that does worry me is that you have noticed she hasn’t pooped and she a bit more low-key. With rabbits, I am always inclinced to say it’s better safe than sorry since they can hide illness so well, and to the point it’s too late. So I would check with a vet if you think she could be fighting an infection. Otherwise watch closely to make sure she poops soon. Also, listen to her stomach. Can you hear a light gurgling? It should gurgle every five to 10 seconds. A healthy gi tract should always be on the move, but if it’s very loud, like you can hear it without putting your ear to her stomach, then that can also mean digestive issues.

The fact that she is running around and binkying is a good sign, but just keep an eye on that litterbox, and how much she is sneezing. (it’s normal for bunnies to sneeze a little bit every once in awhile. Sometimes hay dust can do that or something else they got into)

• xnovalentine
              Participant

thankyou for the feedback – it made me feel a little more at ease, and more patient with waiting for her to poop.

she did poop! and did she ever – i thought the pile was going to raise her to the top of the cage it was so much. she must have been holding it for a long time. i’m happy that that type of pooping is normal – i nearly took her to the people ER i was so worried.

overall she is acting okay – i am going to take her to the vet for a checkup soon, before i take her in for spaying and i will mention it to the vet and see if they can check her out just in case.

again, thankyou for your input!

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

i am really glad to hear she’s pooping more normally now, it may have been she was feeling under the weather. hay is the most important thing in a bunny’s diet and helps ensure we see those nice big round poops

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

Glad to hear it’s all OK again. Something like an over-rope banana will do it too.  WIth bunnies you want them with a slight tinge of green on the skin.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE poop problems